Can the Borg tell what sites I've been to?

by purrpurr 16 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

The obvious question here is being overlooked..........

Why are you going to that garbage website in the first place?

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Maksutov is correct: they can only see which website you came from, and only if you appeared on their website by clicking a link.

They can't see wherever you fo after you visit them, nor where you came from if you just type in their url in the address bar.

Cookies cannot be shared between website (unless the websites work together on that, which seems very unlikely since WT doesn't work together with anyone but lawyers)

• Onager
    Onager

If I was a JW or cared I would be worried too. The internet is a weird black box machine that I have no idea how it works, but I do know that if I go on Amazon and search for Shaun the sheep movie dvd's and then go onto Facebook, the adverts are Shaun the sheep related. So you are carrying some kind of data "stink" around with you when you travel the internet. I believe that deleting cookies or private browsing stops this happening. It's internet deodorant...

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

If you come from a website that uses cookies "to better enhance your experience" or any similar language then yes, they'll be able to see every website you visit thereafter. Websites have been doing this covertly since the inception of the internet. But now there are strict privacy laws that either require you don't use them or make users aware of it. Which is why even this website shows a pop up for cookies. I experienced tracking by a financial institution back some years ago. I caught them red handed and read them the Riot Act.

Nowadays, I've gotten in the habit of opening a new tab or browser for each site. It's cumbersome but I value the little bit of privacy I still have left.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@Onager, @Tenacious,

To be technical: websites that (appear) to know what you looked at or searched for earlier, are collaborating.

When you search on Google/Amazon/whatever, this website stores information on that and/or share it with advertising companies.

Then when you visit some other site, the advertising company displays ads they think are relevant for you.

Not the key word here: collaboration.

Without collaborating, all a website can know is what you do on their website(s). They can't see what you did or do on other websites.

The only thing they can see is where you came from if you arrived by clicking a link (not if you type in the address yourself).

Now do you think JW are of the collaborating kind....?

• steve2
    steve2

Purrpurr, the best way to answer your question is to say, “You’ve been a very, very naughty boy.” Now close that lap top, clean yourself up and use your bed for sleeping. Good night.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

If you really want to have fun go on JWFacts on their wifi in the Kingdom Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit