Depression and That Fading Away Feeling

by Swan 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Swan
    Swan

When you get depressed, do you ever have the feeling that you are fading away? Let me describe what I have been experiencing now and in the past.

I feel so depressed that I feel like I'm not really here in the present. I feel like my body is here, but mentally I feel that reality is not quite as real as it was in the past. I look at everything as if seen through a fog. I don't feel like I'm really part of the here and now, although reason tells me that I am. I feel like everything is happening to someone else, and I'm just an observer watching everything remotely like through some mental television.

It is a really weird sensation, and when I get this feeling I don't even feel physically hungry. I haven't eaten anything in over 24 hours.

Is this a normal thing for depressed people, or is this symptomatic of something else?

Tammy

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Swan,
    I'm afraid I do know that feeling quite well and you're right about it being very difficult to explain. Just a disconnected feeling that you try to shake with varying results. As for food, I generally only eat once a day anymore and that's usually just a quick lunch. The rest of the time it's tea (like right now) and the occasional toast when I have actually made a trip to the store. But that's pretty rare these days. I had thought the depression was long gone but it's been back for over a year now. Just like everyone else, I want to feel good but it just ain't happening. Still, I'm better off than a lot of others so I'm not complaining, just giving that knowing nod.

• shamus
    shamus

www.wingofmadness.com

Check out this website above...

• termite 35
    termite 35

((((((Swan)))))) Sorry you feel like this

I don't know about it being normal or usual..but perhaps it's they way some peopel feel when they get really low.

I always feel 'too big' when I get really bad.I also have a very strong feeling of not wanting people to look at me.

I think that not eating makes me feel 'smaller', less significant and more able to view life from afar-almost as though I want to observe and not interact.

For me it's a feeling that comes and goes- was coming out of it- but since acident am slipping back-but I am aware of it and have lucid moments too...I think you should try to eat something-my brother had very bad anorexia when he was younger- and nearly died-and that all started from a feeling of wanting to 'disappear'- so it always makes me feel I have to watch myself.

I also feel like this if i'm rejected -has someone left your life recently?

I hope you feel a little more with it soon-could you perhaps talk to someone professional about the way you feel-knowing why can help sometimes..

lots of love to you ((((termite)))) xxxxxx

• Swan
    Swan

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I am feeling more normal today. I ate some mashed potatoes and a slice of cheese last night and I had a banana this morning. I will be discussing this feeling in therapy next week.

Tammy

• integ
    integ

Something good will happen to you today.

Integ.

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

(((((((Swan)))))))

What you're experiencing is a normal, it's call Disassociation, and it's often a symptom of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)

I experience this feeling too, that you have discribed, usually when I''m in deep thought/ pondering things that are too much to process, and so feel like I zone out....like I'm not really there.

I learned about this from a support group I attended that dealt with PTSD and learning that there was a name for how I felt and that it was a "normal" part of the healing process was a relief!

Truth

• Swan
    Swan

Thank you Integ.

Thank you for this information Truth2Me. I really appreaciate knowing the name for it.

What you're experiencing is a normal, it's call Disassociation, and it's often a symptom of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)

Disassociation. How ironic! I disassociated!

Tammy

• Mulan
    Mulan

Tammy, do you take anti-depressants? Consistently?

So sorry you feel like that. Eat some ice cream too. It's absolutely medicinal.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Tammy, do you take anti-depressants? Consistently?

So sorry you feel like that. Eat some ice cream too. It's absolutely medicinal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit