The Flavors of Apostofests

by Mindchild 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Perhaps you have noticed this trend as well, that apostofests are now frequently being combined with other activities of a recreational nature. For example, the upcoming Florida apostofest will have a Halloween party and the next day a barbeque. I?ve seen several other vacation ideas planned around apostofests in the past that run from having fun on gambling boats to touring Las Vegas.

As most of us are not independently wealthy and have limited time off (that ideally would be used for as much fun as possible) I thought some ideas for future apostofest themes might be useful. Please share your ideas of what you think a great combo apostofest and fun time would be.

Here are a few of my own or those I?ve heard others discussing:

A camping apostofest where everyone would meet at a campground for a few days or longer. Benefits: low cost vacation, no hotel bills, clean healthy environment, beautiful settings, and hiking opportunities. (thanks to Eyegirl and friends for this idea)

A haunted house apostofest. There are big old spooky houses that are supposedly haunted that can be rented for reasonable rates for a few days. Want to see if ghosts show up or things in the room start flying around? Whatsthematter? You chicken?

How about a fun fund raising apostofest? What do you think of the idea of either raising funds for a good cause or make a low cost vacation for all attending? I?ve seen several ideas that works reasonably well for other groups that include everything from kissing booths to coupon clipping. Nobody makes a fortune doing this but you would be surprised at how much money you can raise in a short time.

Following the idea of a fund raising apostofest, I?ve seen prospecting vacations that not only are a lot of fun, but typically make enough money to pay for the trip and supplies.

Would you consider a ?habitat for humanity? type theme, where people got together to do something constructive?as in helping out someone with the essentials of life?

Your ideas?

Skipper

• patio34
    patio34

Great ideas, Skipper!

I especially liked the haunted house one and the camping one!

I'm up for it.

Pat

• Gadget
    Gadget

I think this is a great idea. When I was in London I talked to Ignored_One about something similar to this. We fancy planning an apostafest at Alton Towers (Theme Park), or somewhere like Centre Parcs.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

MindChild.

I like the Habitat for Humanity idea.

Hey we all did the hall builds. If we could get a group of xjws together for one of those, I'm sure it would be a good time for a good cause, and we might even get a little publicity out of that.

"Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses Build Houses as They Rebuild Their Lives"

Of course with all I've heard about these Apostafests, I don't know if any one would be in any "shape" to get up and head to a construction site !

• Simon
    Simon

It depends what people like ... I guess some will appeal to one person but not another. We tend to go for family days out mainly (having young kids).

Centre Parcs would be good with a few people there and is a nice break (it is also 'safe' in that if you decide you've had enough of people you can go and do your own thing). We had a great day with KenUK and family last year.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I'm planning a camping apostafest for next summer in Ontario. And the haunted house idea sounds like alot of fun. On Halloween perhaps?

Since many of us don't observe religious holidays for the sake of religion, I think we should lobby our State/Provincial governments to allow X-JW's an annual paid holiday to celebrate our liberation from oppression. This holiday could fall on the same weekend each year, making it more convenient for as many as possible to attend this annual aposto-megafest.

We could sin with greater efficiency if all were able to attend.

Walter

Ontario District Overbeer

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

You have a good point XJW about our apostate crew being able to accomplish much after the partying. Even if we were building a "Beer Hall" I would be worried about getting hit from falling bottles of suds raining down from the rafters, lol.

I found out today that a few of our Canadian ex-dubs are planning something along the lines of the great ex-JW campout. That should be a fun event if they pull it off. I did a bit of search on haunted houses for rent, and found out that any real haunted house is evidently been commercialized to make a buck. But there are haunted places that are either free to go to or low cost, so that might be an option. Ideally, it would be fun to find a haunted Kingdom Hall and use it for the party. hehe

Skipper

• Valis
    Valis

The last big fest we had in Dallas we used animal's idea. We gave tickets for a dollar and maybe for a dollar an Apostate would let you give em a kiss or perhaps more, the more tickets the better you know, indulgences if you will.....eheheh...so, after we sold tickets we raised about $500 for Simon and JWD...Paypal is an awesome thing...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

I think these sound like fun ideas....if you all like to hike and camp, you're welcome out here in Denver for an apostafest!! Keep me posted as to what transpires!

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I second that motion Valis, and please put it in the Overbeer bylaws that from this point forward, kissing booths are a routine part of apostofests. hehe

Skipper (of the anything for a good cause class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit