The Memorial

by jhine 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Watching the fellowship meal whizzing past you while not partaking seems to be the dumbest interpretation of communion out there. And once a year? Whatever happened to "whenever you gather together"?

I don't know what Rutherford was smoking, but I don't want any!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The JW explanation was that the Lord's Supper replaced Passover, which was an annual celebration. Thus, communion is seen as an annual event. The bit about only the anointed partaking relies on their explanation that there was a cutoff for when souls would be allowed into heaven as opposed to having an Earthly future.

That latter one is even more problematic. If Christ's sacrifice was for everyone, then you would assume everyone must partake. It's a symoblic gesture that signifies acceptance of Christ as one's savior and the only path to a 'good' future. Thus, telling the "unanointed" that they cannot partake makes no sense, especially from a group that claims to reject heirarchical titles because we are all on the same level in god's eyes.

• jhine
    jhine

RonW thank you for those links , really interesting .

The whole teaching seems to be based ( used loosely) on cherry picked verses taken out of context.

It's really surprising how many emotionally and mentally unbalanced JWs there are !!! That is always the go to get out card ." You don't believe us any more - mentally diseased " ," you think you are anointed- mentally unstable "

The whole tenor of the article is condescending, the questions suitable for children.

Jan from Tam

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

jhine, as a fellow outsider, who goes to a mainstream Protestant church, I always saw this whole setup as an exercise in cruelty. To really grind into the great unwashed how lowly they really were to the GB.

That the current GB can't be anointed according to the former rules makes the whole thing farcical.

• jhine
    jhine

Not former l totally agree, everything about Watchtower teaching is about obedience and submission.

Jan from Tam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit