Bethelite statistics

by john.prestor 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Hahaha, I know, I know, the chances are pretty slight of it working, but what the hell? :P

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

In 1983 I was in Brooklyn and it was $75 and maybe in 1985 it went to $90? Perhaps someone can confirm the timing of the jump but in 1983 it was $75 (almost positive).

I was married at the time so we had TWO stipends.....plus we would catch a ride to the congregation meetings/service so....saved there as well.

Another piece of the Bethelites' financial picture was G-Jobs. We did cleaning on occasion (2X per month) and used our vacation to hang Sheetrock or whatever we could find.

There was also the loving provision of gleaning and the stale English Muffins which sustained us.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

It seems like from what everyone's saying that 300 sound awfully high and that the amount is probably closer to 200 if that. I'll let you know what happens when I ask tomorrow, I got home to late to call.

JW_Researcher, that sounds... rough, to say the least. I've heard of G-Jobs, but I mean, having to work side jobs just to survive when you're working for a multi-million dollar corporation sounds pretty awful.

• asp59
    asp59
    That wouldn't even cover my wine consumption!
  • john.prestor
    john.prestor

So guess who got the run-around today from Bethel? I got redirected to four different people, finally get to the Bethel office, guy puts me on hold for 15 minutes, and comes back with the most vague, nonsensical answer I've ever heard. We're all volunteers, we don't receive any income, no salary, we can be reimbursed. When I press for the amount of reimbursement he says that's all we can tell you. Incredible.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

In 1996 - 1999 I was getting 95 a month...

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

The consensus seems to be that $300 is way too much. I'm going to bet it's closer to 200 if that, I'm going to go check my notes to see exactly what the circuit overseer told me back in 2015. He was very forthcoming to the extent the one of the elders wives who caught the end of the conversation tried to get the information out of me.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol well good effort on your part making the call. The proper nomenclature used to be something like a “monthly stipend” or some such thing. Make the call again in a few days and try that, see what theu say. They are paranoid about answering the question and being caught in legal trouble. Also keep in mind the little jw flunky answering the switchboard isnt really trained and dedicated to be answering phones, it used to be a job rotated among older residents who were trusted to be polite. At night it was just the desk guy who let people in and out.

• fulano
    fulano

I proper nomenclature used to be allowance...that is to say untill 1999 when I left ...

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

_Morpheus, I'll try that out and keep you posted on the information

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit