Giving the Gift of Life--Blood

by JAVA 8 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

My elderly mother was hospitalized twice since January, and received blood transfusions both times. She is alive today because of this life-giving treatment. I donated blood last week (the first time) for the following reasons:

• As stated above, my mother is alive because others rolled up their sleeves and donated blood. I wanted to return the favor by helping someone I didn't know.
    • I wanted to make a statement of sorts that the Watchtower Society doesn't control my life.
    • I wanted to challenge the residual "yuck factor" many ex-Dubs have about blood long after exiting the Tower.

The Tower and some media focus on the risks associated with blood transfusions. (Negative news sells newspapers in the West.) Indeed, some have been harmed because of receiving blood. However, you don't need to be a brain surgeon to know countless people have been helped compared to the few harmed from this life-giving treatment. Yet I see ex-JWs railing against the Watchtower, but the Tower's yuck factor on blood transfusions lives on for many.

How many on the forum have given blood, and how long did it take before making the leap? (It took me about 16 years, but I'm slow.) I also wonder if any received blood, and how you handled the decision?

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

JAVA,

Your opinion on blood counts, but it will not go far.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Hopefully we'll not allow Fredhall's babble sabotage and undermine this thread, or to focus on him.

--JAVA

• crittersitter
    crittersitter

jva,
    i think you have done something great. when i "came-out" i was pretty adament about not recieving blood. looking back i used the excuses of AIDS and other undetectable deseises, for not wanting a transfusion. now i know it was only fear and a deeply rooted indoctrination of jw'ism.
    so, now if i need to have whole blood, i'm ok with it. it took awhile to research the amount of info, but as far as i can see, blood is ok. the jw control is deep and destuctive.i can find no logical reason to not acceppt the blood of another to save my life.
    for those leaving the "kult" i pray that you have peace and resolve this matter in your quest for FREEDOM from the bondage of the watchtower.
    critter

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Java,

Perceptive point--the yuck factor. However, one thing I did was to remove my blood card and get any notice out of my file at the doctor's.

Anyone notice--and this seems important--a phrase in the Durable Power of Attorney the WTS pressures the R&F to fill out (I know one jw who dutifully keeps it on the seat of his car in case of an accident!).

This phrase is that the DPA cannot be nullified orally. Even by the patient themselves! IMO, this is scary.

So, if any have it at their doc's or hospital, be warned. There's no backing out. I need to go to the hospital and get mine out of my file soon.

Yes, I definitely would take blood. It's just another oddity about the jws.

But I haven't donated. Partly because of having been ill in the last 2 years and have become a bit gun-shy about needles. Don't even get a flu shot.

Pat

• Enlighted UK
    Enlighted UK

I faded away from the org 6 months ago - the best thing I have ever done!!

I have not given blood - yet, although I have been considering this. My leaving the org started because of the blood issue - I now realise that other issues the WT say are true are lies as well, it has helped to reinforce what I thought.

Yes there are problems associated with blood, but I have had reason to speak to a senior paediatric cardiothoracic surgeon who told me that he doesn't like using blood because of the risks involved, but in some circumstances there are no other alternatives.

I am more likely to believe him than I am a frustrated window-cleaner in the writing department at the org at Brooklyn.

A survey was carried out involving 300 UK hospitals regarding blood transfusions. 69.1% of problems involving blood were caused by patients being given the wrong blood type in the first place - not because of any disease in the blood itself. This problem could occur with medication, allergies to food etc.

You also have to weigh up the risks involved - when a patient is critically ill, which is the greater risk? The patient dying due to low haemoglobin levels, bleeding profusely etc?? Or the patient contracting a disease from blood given??

When will the WT society learn that each individual has the right to make up his own mind regarding his own treatment.

I left the org because of this issue - I am not DA or DF, my in-law family have not asked why I stopped going, and still they shun me.

I believe the organisation is contravening the Human Rights Act.

Article 9 "Freedom of thought, conscience and religion" - (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedome to change his religion or belief and freedom, either alone or in the community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief, in worship, teaching, practice and observance. (2) Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs shall be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

Article 10 - Freedom of expression. (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers.

Could Article 3 be applied here?? - Prohibition of torture : No one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Could Article 3 be used because you are shunned for holding your own views and opinions which are allowed under Articles 9 and 10??

I am amazed the Society hasn't been taken to court more often, as in in the case of Khristiansko Sdruzhenie v Bulgaria (Application No 28626/95.

Are there any good lawyers out there spoiling for a fight???

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I think it is tough for a lot of people, not just JWs to give blood for a variety of reasons - laziness, health, worrying about other things in life etc. A lot of people don't wake up until someone in the family actually needs a transfusion.

hawk

• JAVA
    JAVA

Pat,

Excellent points about Medical Durable Power of Attorney documents. The Tower started the "Blood Cards" and such after I left, and I never thought about that aspect. That's the great thing about good forums like this, as all angles of a topic can be aired.

crittersitter,

You're right, many former Dubs point to AIDS and other concerns as reasons for not giving or receiving blood. However those issues are extremely rare today compared to the benefits of this treatment. I firmly believe many ex-Witnesses still allow the Tower to influence them on this issue when the facts clearly demonstrate otherwise. Like most of us, I hope to stay out of hospitals for many years as a patient. If I need this life-giving treatment someday, I'm glad others are not as crazy as the Watchtower. My mother is alive today because of this treatment--thank god for intelligence over blindly following cult thinking!

--JAVA

• JAVA
    JAVA

Enlighted UK,

A survey was carried out involving 300 UK hospitals regarding blood transfusions. 69.1% of problems involving blood were caused by patients being given the wrong blood type in the first place - not because of any disease in the blood itself. This problem could occur with medication, allergies to food etc.

Medication errors are a major concern. Thousands die yearly because of drug errors e.g., wrong medication, incorrect dose, allergic reaction, and side effects. HMOs in the USA have forced hospitals and clinics to cut personnel so insurance CEOs can make millions at the expense of people needing medical treatment. I'm not sure who are the biggest slugs of society; health insurance CEOs or the Tower's Governing Body.

Hospitals are very concerned about matching the correct blood type to patients. Even with personnel shortages, most hospitals in the USA have two employees check and re-check types and so forth before giving blood.

Like you, I firmly believe groups like the Watchtower violate some basic human rights. It's very difficult suing religions for a variety of reasons. It's just as difficult finding lawyers willing to sue if the rewards are questionable to nil. However, exposing the Watchtower as a crackpot sect means fewer join, and that gets the Tower where it really hurts--their bottom line $$$.

hawk,

You bet, until an issue strikes home, it's easy to do nothing--that's human nature. But if former Witnesses want to send a message to the Watchtower Society, roll up your sleeves and give a unit of blood at your Community Blood Center. It could be an interesting story for your local newspaper, if it's a slow news day. Be sure to vote in the next election, too!

--JAVA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit