angels

by yentel 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yentel
    yentel

do angels get tired?
    see daniel 9:21[nwt]

• Simon
    Simon

I would say 'yes'... but probably not noticeably by us!
    Only Jehovah has unlimited power so anything else *must* suffer from some sort of loss of energy. Maybe they don't show it like we do.

• jelly
    jelly

Simon, I liked your point on the 3 wise men.
    When do you people think that the witnessing work will open up in China (to a greater degree)? How about the middle east (Iran, Iraq, etc)?

• Simon
    Simon

I don't know much about China or Iraq but there was a programme on Radio 4 (that's a very 'newsey' BBC radio station in the UK) talking about Iran and how they wanted to open the country up more to western tourists etc...
    Maybe the preaching work can go in as the western culture becomes more acceptible?

• NaweOfJah
    NaweOfJah

Okay, Yentel. The scripture says:

Daniel 9:21 - ..and [while] I was yet speaking in the prayer, why, the Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the start, having been made weary with tiredness, was arriving by me at the time of the evening gift offering.

I remember the sister I studied with telling me that most thoughts in the Bible are proven out by being in various places usually at least three times. I realize there are exceptions. Can we find another scripture where angels tire? I have not found another yet.
    ys
    --------------------------------
    "Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine."

Edited by - NaweOfJah on 29 March 2000 20:41:36

• pomegranate
  • FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

What do Angels do to get tired anyway?

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

They fix your hair up First in Line!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

There's a probable translation mistake here, arising from the similarity of two Hebrew roots: y`p, meaning "to tire, to be tired", and `wp meaning "to fly". The text may actually mean "in swift fly" (NRSV). However, a pun might also be intended: the root y`p recurs several time in Isaiah 40:28ff, with the image of a soaring eagle in v. 31.

In the Daniel context, the idea of (Daniel's? the angel's) tiredness might have been suggested by 10:7ff, describing both the effect of the vision on Daniel and the struggle of the angel to deliver it:

I, Daniel, alone saw the vision; the people who were with me did not see the vision, though a great trembling fell upon them, and they fled and hid themselves. So I was left alone to see this great vision. My strength left me, and my complexion grew deathly pale, and I retained no strength. Then I heard the sound of his words; and when I heard the sound of his words, I fell into a trance, face to the ground. But then a hand touched me and roused me to my hands and knees. He said to me, "Daniel, greatly beloved, pay attention to the words that I am going to speak to you. Stand on your feet, for I have now been sent to you." So while he was speaking this word to me, I stood up trembling. He said to me, "Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia opposed me twenty-one days. So Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, and I left him there with the prince of the kingdom of Persia, and have come to help you understand what is to happen to your people at the end of days. For there is a further vision for those days."
  • Beans
    Beans

Are they naughty angels?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit