Keep on knocking and the door shall open

by JH 11 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Jesus said these words thousands of years ago meaning that if you insist, finally things will work out for you. He also meant to pray to God continuously in order to receive.

Praying or not, did you have the impression that by knocking continuously that things finally worked out for you in life or did you find that the door remained closed no matter what?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

lol, well, coming from you I'm not sure how to answer. But yes, it generally works out for the best, persistance.

For some reason I feel compelled to add: one area of exception is with romantic relationships. If someone is not attracted to you, they won't be attracted to more of you!

• blondie
    blondie

Persistance is good when it comes to personal goals and work.

It is good to be adaptable to situations.

Sometimes you are knocking on the wrong door.

Blondie

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

LOL at SixofNine.

You're so subtle !

Persistant knocking of that type leads to the opening of jail cell doors !

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If you mean if I kept on knocking on doors as in field service -- no I do not believe it would eventually be opened

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

JH - Years ago (5 now thinking back) I was in a bad situation at work, so I prayed and prayed for relief from this situation (I wanted something to happen to the person causing me problems) and after a while I just 'let it go' and things worked out for the better (I was removed from the area into a better one for my career). I find I don't always get what I THINK I would like or deserve (riches etc...), but is that REALLY what He wants? I've found that doors do open, you just have to look down the hallway and make sure you're at the right one. "Thy will be done", is the hardest thing to do and try to live up to. So keep knocking, but watch for other (unexpected) doors to open. I hope this helps in some way.

• Aztec
    Aztec

I've been told many times that I lack "follow through". Y'know what? I don't care. Stuff just works out somehow. I do work hard but I think I should probably work on my persistence. Bah! Whatever....

~Aztec

• JH
    JH

I don't agree that knocking continuously will open a specific door. Others may open but not necessarily the one you knocked at.

Six, That's true in love and also in friendships. Not all friendships can work out either. And sometimes it's better like that.

Anybody with examples of knocking continuously one ONE specific door, and it finally opened.

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

YES! But it took YEARS! I wanted a child.

Here it is....I was 25, newly married we wanted children, after two years, tests and more testing, the doctors determined there wasn't anything medically wrong with each of us. We soon divorced (over MANY issues) no children (everyone says that's a good thing-but it really sucked at the time). Basically the more I went to Church, the more pissed I was since all these other women could have children. I was angry, but kept knocking....Anyhow at 28 I landed a GREAT job, enjoyed life, bought a house, life was good and now I wanted to share it with a little someone- again - (baby or toddler type). I tried everything (even sex) and still couldn't conceive. Single parenthood wouldn't have been ideal, but I didn't care at this point. Eventually I stopped that and was accepted into a state adoption program and went to foster care classes. I was really excited about sharing my life, values with a little person. THEN I was sent to a school for my job, met my hubby and at 33 finally gave birth to Rachael.

As you can see I banged my head against the door - eventually it was opened and I received it all in His time and not the way I originally though it would be.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Yes. When I was sincerely trying to find out if the JW's were right or not - to decide if I should return after I was DF'd. I prayed a lot about it because I was afraid to read "apostate" material ...I started getting this feeling that someone somewhere was telling me "ask your questions - don't be afraid". So I started searching - it took some time but I eventually did find my answer and now I'm free of the JW guilt trip.

I would say that getting rid of the guilt was the one door I knocked on over and over and over again. I don't know - maybe the door was opened a long time ago and I was just too scared to step over the threshold.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit