American accents, Bette Midler, Clinton, Rick Fearon, Strathclyde, Morningside

by slimboyfat 48 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I used to enjoy being able to distinguish different local accents, but for some reason I've got worse at it. I was thinking about this today when I was listening to Bette Midler on the Scottish radio. I thought to myself I quite liked her accent and also that it reminded me of someone else. Who was that? Then it struck me, she sounded a bit like Hillary Clinton, except Hillary Clinton can somehow manage to sound both screechy and deep and raspy at the same time. Not unpleasant, but I can see how Hillary Clinton's voice annoys some people. However Bette Midler sounded to me like a polished and mellowed version of Hillary Clinton. Easy to listen to. Anyway they sounded similar to me. So then I thought to myself, I bet they grew up the same place to have a similar accent like that. Then I looked them up on Wikipedia and one of them grew up in Hawaii and the other grew up in Chicago - fail! So much for being able to distinguish different accents. Then I was wondering if Leolaia sounds like Bette Midler.

I would like to learn more about different American accents. There are only a few that I think I can distinguish with any confidence. Mostly from TV shows and sitcoms in particular, so I don't know how accurate that is. Anyone who sounds like either JFK or Rick Fearon I would confidently say they were from Boston. And the nasal sort of New York accent of Woody Allen I think I can also identify. Even so I'm aware that within New York you get different accents too. And New Jersey sounds to me like New York except even more so. Then I have a very general idea of a broad sort of southern accent like the girl uses in True Blood or whenever anyone says "all y'all". But the American south is a big place so I am sure there are lots of different accents represented across the board. If George Bush's accent is typical of Texas for example (is it? I don't know) then it's pretty different from Maya Angelou from Missouri. Which reminds me that accent very much isn't just down to geography. Different ways of speaking are produced by gender, race and class as well as geography. And people move around and their parents influence their accent too, which probably affects the way Bush speaks and the way Maya Angelou spoke. And it strikes me that while I have a slight idea what someone from Chicago might sound like (Clinton notwithstanding) I have absolutely no idea what someone from Dakota should sound like, or Iowa or Wisconsin (pretty much anywhere in the middle for that matter) or even Seattle, unless Bill Gates is a typical example.

From the other direction it's a bit annoying when Americans sometimes talk about an English or even British accent as if there is one British accent. They probably have Prince Charles in mind or Stephen Fry. So I wonder what they'd make of a Yorkshire accent or Tyneside or the West Country, not to mention Welsh or various Scottish accents. But class comes into it a lot here inasmuch as a Scottish person with a Morningside accent (Sir Malcolm Rifkind for example) sounds more like Prince Charles than they do like someone from Wester Hailes, proving accent is as much to do with class as geography, in Britain at least. I wonder if the same holds for America too, or if race and geography are more important over there.

Plus to make it even more complicated accents change over time too. It occurs to me there is something about the accent of Martin Luther King Jnr for example that is located in the period, as much as location, race and class. Same is true in Britain when you think of the way Churchill spoke, from a different era. Actually Churchill was not all that different from David Cameron now I think. But that just goes to show how old fashioned Cameron's upper class accent really is. Does it make sense to talk about an accent being old fashioned? I think it does sometimes. Some accents can sound affected in that sense. An American example that springs to mind is Jesse Jackson. His accent sounds like it's in a time warp from a period where black leaders thought they had to enunciate very clearly in order to convey their intelligence and distance themselves from their background. Maybe I'm reading way too much into that. And I honestly don't know much about his background or accent really. That's just how it strikes me. Al Sharpton sounds much more contemporary to me by way of lazy comparison.

I was wondering if American posters could describe their accent. Does it have a name? How wide a region does it cover? What famous person is a good reflection of the accent?

Having said all that what kind of accent do I have? Given my location and background I was thinking I should sound like Billy Connolly (who was also on the radio today) but I don't have a very distinct accent. I can sound a bit like that. A mild sort of west of Scotland accent that covers Glasgow and surrounding areas, what used to be known as Strathclyde.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Interesting discussion of Clinton's changing accent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-22/tracking-hillary-clinton-s-use-of-every-american-accent-east-of-the-mississippi

What sort of accent has Donald Trump got?

• eva luna
    eva luna

I don't have an accent . I'm from California. ;-)

But if I am around people from other places, or travel; I pick up their accent . That can be awkward and funny.

Kind of also saying, it can be hard to tell were people originate.

I love asking people were they are from when I hear something out of my ordinary.

A few days ago, I asked a Lady were she was from , she had me guess and I got it . She was from the Ukraine. I also met a unique couple ( by asking the same question) from Slovenia and got an interesting lesson on WW1.

thoughtful post

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    Have you seen season one of the TV series Fargo? Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman do an awesome Minnesotan accent. It is fun to listen to.
  • tornapart
    tornapart
    I'm with you on this Slim... I can identify most Brit accents.. even the difference between someone from Liverpool and Manchester, just a few miles apart.... but someone from the US... a big no! LOL I can pick out a Canadian accent usually, which is quite useful because I don't think any Canadian wants to be thought of as from the US!! (the same as a Scotsman doesn't want to be thought of as English) ;)
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Television and before that radio has done a lot to homogenize accents in the US. And education. I grew up around Chicago where the grammar is good. But now I have a southern accent too after living in the southern Midwest.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes dropoffyourkeylee homogenisation is the same everywhere (pun intended) because of TV and radio, in fact there was a BBC article about this a few days ago that got me thinking about it. It said studies have found regional English accents are disappearing but Scottish regional accents are holding up better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34832083

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Eva luna that's an intersting thing about people changing their accent for audience. I think I do that to some extent. Other people,have remarkably fixed accents. I have a cousin who grew up on an island and keeps that accent very strong despite not living there for decades.

Magwitch I've been meaning to watch that show, I'll check it out. Is that your own accent?

tornapart yeah Mancunian and Liverpudlian are quite distinct accents. In Scotland Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen are also quite distinct. So in a country as vast as the US there must be dozens and dozens of distinguishable accents.

A question for Americans:

Did Watchtower leaders of the past and present have noticeably distinct American accents?

I've read that Rutherford had a strong southern accent is that true? What about Franz, Knorr, and the new GB any stand out?

Does regional accent affect how you listen to a speaker? I remember a circuit overseer we had who had an extremely strong Tyneside accent and I'm ashamed to say I found it hard to take him seriously because he reminded me of a certain famous football player prone to crying.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Having grown up in Minnesota, there is a decided accent. It almost sounds as if someone moved from Norway to the USA as a child and never quite shed their speech pattern. It has been several decades since I moved from there, but can always pick up on that accent when I hear it.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I heard that Frederick Franz had a sing-song voice. I remember hearing him speak but don't quite recall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit