I Quit my job today ? Just venting

by hippikon 10 Replies latest jw friends

• hippikon
    hippikon

I?ve been away from the board for a while ? I had a new high-pressure sales job that took all my time. (We just moved interstate and I took the first job that came along)

I hated that job ? up to 12 hours a day plus an hours travel each way just to get there. All for a modest wage. The boss was an intellectual cripple patrolling the office twice a day ?have you closed anything yet? (And no I wasn?t sacked I quit ? While I was there I was top selling sales person - Slut that I am - I feel so dirty)

I don?t like selling ? I feel compromised like I?m paid to tell lies about crap product. I can?t do it and feel good about it.

Those who know me personally know I?m not racist but I don?t think I?ll work for that sort again ? No concept of quality, No concept of loyalty, No concept of service - Price is always always always the deciding factor.

For most of the last 20 years I?ve worked as a technician but have had trouble keeping up with changing technology ? My qualifications are out of date now and will have to be updated every two to three years. And quite frankly the technical work doesn?t pay well enough to justify the cost of keeping the qualifications up to date.

Sales seems to suit my personality (friendly and open) but I think I am too honest. The other day I sarcastically said to a customer ?Trust me ? I?m a salesman?. They laughed so much they closed the deal.

I?m not a competitive person like some of the other hot shot sales people. I think some of them would shoot their mothers if it meant closing a deal. If that isn?t prostitution of the soul I don?t know what is.

So now I?m unemployed (in a strange town) and feeling a bit unemployable.

So I think my next career choice will be counting cloths pegs and putting them into bags ? safer that way.

• Valis
    Valis

OY Matey! Sorry to hear yer havin a bad time of it...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yes - not to keen on sales myself -- some customers are absolute d---s and as you say now matter how good your sales --it is alwys --where is your next sale coming from -- hope you do a little better in your next job -- I bet it felt good though when you actually quit

• hippikon
    hippikon

hehehe

My letter of resignation was so hot I had to get it checked by a lawyer first - I realy did enjoy that.

• Happythoughts
    Happythoughts

Have you ever thought of car sales? I know that probably sounds funny, but really you have to know little about cars and most people don't want you to know everything....AND every car salesmen is not a liar. Just a thought anyway..

Good luck!

• somebody
    somebody

((((((((((((hippikon)))))))))))))))))))))),

You have a very special place in my heart. And if ever the two words "honest" and "salesman" would ever be put together, you'd be why the two words were put together in my opinion, and through my personal experience with salesmen/saleswomen.

A job in sales is a very hard job for honest people to be in.

I hope all is well with you and yours!

peace,

somebody/gwen

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Hippy old son,

Sorry to hear of your unhappy events. Actually we were just thinking of you and then you kindly post to let us know how things are going (or not going).

You know that when we were younger, Mrs Ozzie and I had times like you've got right now. I always looked at the sky. No, really! To look at the majesty of clouds set in the blue of an Australian sky kinda made my situation seem smaller somehow. Somewhat akin to thumping the wall, actually!!

If it's any consolation, bear in mind the words "It too shall pass".

Our warm regards to your lovely family.

Cheers, Ozzie

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Sorry to hear about this. Good luck in finding employment. BTW, how's the job market in Austraila?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Hippikon

Glad to see you back. I was wondering where you've been. Sorry to hear about the job. I also came from a technical background, but was "promoted' to sales, (data networking) and I hear you about the pressure, especially near the end of the month, when my sales quota, is not up to where it should be.

On the other hand it's great when I exceed projections and qualify for bonuses. And the job does have it's perks, like when I get to go to Dallas for 5 days on a Manufacturer's sales conference.

Good luck.

• sens
    sens

(((Hippi))) Hi :D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit