I am looking at back surgery any thoughts on should I or not?

by Still Totally ADD 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Back in March I fell and injured my back at work. My back has been a problem for many years but certain exercise has able me to function normally through the years. Now I walk bent over with a cane and cannot walk very far, stand, or sit in a straight back chair. The stenosis is past the point of any therapy. Has anyone else known or has gone through this problem before? I am now in the process of making all the arrangements for the surgery. I would like to hear any experiences you all may have. I am only 63 years old but function but feel like I am twice the age. Still Totally ADD

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Think very carefully before surgery. I recently read a book on pain by a back doctor ( I have pain issues of my own, tho not back pain). He had had to accept the fact that many back surgeries are not needed. He started treating his patients for pain, giving them the tools to reduce pain without surgery. Many people found they didn't need surgery, those that still did had a better recovery.

His point is that everybody over a certain age has some adaptive damage or changes to the spine, yet some with the same spine issues have no pain, so it is not these changes that cause the pain, rather it is a matter of pain processing problems.

I am out right now, when I get home I will tell you the name of the book, it has been very helpful to me, I stropped pain meds three weeks ago, after seven years on them.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

The are much better at it now, but there is NO going back.

Do your research.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Have you considered alternative therapy. Maybe consult with a Chiropractor to see what they can offer.

Many years ago I had an accident and suffered a neck injury. I have been going to a Chiropractor for periodic adjustments. I no longer suffer with headaches and am not on any medication. Best decision I ever made.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I've had lower back issues for about 30 years. The exercises in this program have helped me immensely. I still have moderate pain but I continue to do as I please as long as I don't overdo it. You can buy this dvd on Amazon. Good luck!

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

IF surgery is the answer of last resort the right surgeon is the key. Ask questions. It doesn't hurt to ask for references. And having been there, done that...use a neurosurgeon, not an orthopedic surgeon. The skill set needed for working on the spine necessitates someone with a higher skill set than an orthopedic surgeon.

Just my two cents having gone thorough this type of surgery with great success.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Tough situation. I hope those who responded with their own experiences noted what you said your problem was- spinal stenosis. There is no amount of excersise or stretching that will heal stenosis.

i had a close relative undergo surgery for that very problem (very close in age to you). She found some relief but ultimately the stenoisis has returned and the talk now is of more surgery. Explore all options my friend but life on pain killers sucks.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Good advice all around. So many suffer from back pain. I have degenerative disc disease, not uncommon for people in their late 50's early 60's. I am not on meds but I suffer if I lift or over do it. All I have to offer is similar life experience. I would say at least 75 percent of the people I know regret back surgery. Do not be shy on asserting your rights to information from the Doctor and ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION FROM A DOCTOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW YOUR FIRST DOCTOR. All the best.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The book I read was Back In Control, a Surgeon's roadmap out of Chronic Pain, by David Hanscom. Of course, in your case surgery may very well be your best option, but there are things you can do even so to help yourself. The guy that wrote the book still does surgery, so he is not against it per se, he discusses when it is and is not needed.

I thought myself I actually just had a case of Chronic pain, there seed to be no physical reason I was still in so much pain. I had been to many, many doctors, done two rounds of physical therapy, and tried everything I could think of with no results. I had determined to get off pain meds after seven years even so, when I actually stumbled a cross the real cause of my problem, a trapped and kinked up Psoas muscle (hip flexor) It's a deep muscle, not easy to get at, but I figured it out. Two months later I am off all narcotic pain meds for good, took my last three weeks ago. I really thought I would be on pain meds for the rest of my life, so I am pretty happy about that. My pain clinic actually asked me to tell them what I did in case it is helpful to other pelvic pain patients.

So never give up in searching for an answer, whether that is surgery or something else.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Thank-you for the information on the book LisaRose. I have so far kept off any narcotic pain pills. I have been able to function for many years with certain exercises but since the accident nothing works. I have severe stenosis with a bulging disk. It effects both my legs with what I call electric shocks up both legs. Very painful when I sneeze or cough. All I know is I am bending over more and more when I walk. I am just paying the price of all the heavy construction work I did for forty years. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit