How Did You View JEHOVAH As a JW? (Part TWO)

by Prisca 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Prisca
    Prisca

This is Part Two following from How Did You View JEHOVAH as a JW? (Part One)

How Did You View Your (earthly) Father?

What kind of a relationship did you have with your father? Whether he was your biological, step or adoptive father, how did you view him as your father?

• Was he kind, loving and supportive, someone who was there when you needed him?
    • Was he someone you found easy to approach?
    • Was he abusive and cruel?
    • Did you fear or loathe him?
    • Was he someone you admired? Or someone you hated, and vowed you would never be like him?

Now, whatever your answers to the above questions are, compare them to your answers in Part One, where I asked you about your views and relationship with Jehovah as a JW.

Is there a similarity between how you viewed your Heavenly Father, and your physical father?

• Did you transfer your feelings for your real Dad onto your relationship(if any) with Jehovah?
    • Or was Jehovah the Father You Never Had, and idealised Him as what you wished your physical father had been?
    • If you had a good relationship with your Dad, did that make it easier to relate to Jehovah as a Heavenly Father?

Curious minds would like to know.

• Mac
    Mac

My dad would walk on his hands and do backflips fer the neigborhood kiddies...........I just don't see the Hover doin' that...my dad could cuss up a blue streak as well, also unHoverlike.......my dad loved us....never saw that in the greatgodhover either. Hmmmmmmm...wonder why I'm out?
    mac, of the walks on his hands and can still do a backflip class (edited to change the word backflip to reverse handspring.....lol....never did a complete backflip in my life!)

• rocketman
    rocketman

My dad was a hard worker and provider, and a good guy. But, we were not close in some respects because he didn't have time to do much with all us kids. It's a hard situation to describe.

But I had no real closeness with him and with Jehovah. Coincidence or connection between the two, I don't know.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I want macs dad

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Was he kind, loving and supportive, someone who was there when you needed him?

Was he someone you found easy to approach?

No, and no. He rarely treated me like a fellow human being, mostly I was his pain-in-the-ass kid making his life difficult. He treated me like I was stupid.

Was he abusive and cruel?

Not cruel, but extremely impatient and short-tempered. My mom has a strong personality and I think that she was the only thing that prevented my dad from beating the hell out of us, unfortunately for him his mom didn't have a strong personality and his dad did beat the hell out of him on a regular basis.

Did you fear or loathe him?

I was scared to death of him. I can't emphasize enough how short his fuse was. Grumpy as hell, yelling all the time, very little warmth. He's about the last guy in the world that should ever have had kids.

Was he someone you admired? Or someone you hated, and vowed you would never be like him?

I hated him, I tried to love him, I tried to find things about him to emulate, but for the most part he is not somebody that I try to mold myself after. But unfortunately I look a lot like him and have inherited a lot of his temperament, so it is a struggle. I will never have kids, nobody deserves the unfortunate genetic legacy that I inherited!

Is there a similarity between how you viewed your Heavenly Father, and your physical father? Did you transfer your feelings for your real Dad onto your relationship(if any) with Jehovah? Or was Jehovah the Father You Never Had, and idealised Him as what you wished your physical father had been?

Wow, I never gave it a lot of thought until you posted these thread topics.

For most of my JW career I was one of the "strugglings". Always feeling like I didn't measure up, praying for forgiveness, going to the elders with this and that problem. So I did transfer my feelings of never measuring up, of feeling stupid, feelings that I associate with my dad, to Jerhover. Eventually, after many earnest attempts at being a "good JW" that only lasted for short periods, the feelings of worthlessness and stupidity became so strong that I stopped attending meetings. thinking "what's the point?". But finally I summoned the courage to investigate just what these terrible "apostates" were saying about Jerhover and the org.

So my rejection of the JW religion is also a rejection of the messages my dad gave me. And I still ride the fence a lot, at least emotionally, of wondering whether the Watchtower was right and wondering if my dad was right.

Thanks for such a thought provoking thread Prisca!

• Mac
    Mac

Plum, Ya can't have him (though I'm not opposed to sharing him with you). ;)

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well Priscilla I never considered the possibility of a co relation between the way I viewed Jah and the way I viewed Daddy, until we talked about it the other night as you were preparing these theads. You taught me something.

Whats going on Pris? If you start posting thought provoking threads you will destroy your repuation as the most infamous flame queen in Ex JW internet history.

Lol

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Prisca: My dad was very loving to me when I was little. Unfortunately he did something to betray my trust in him when I was 5 or so that changed the whole dynamic of our relationship. He never spanked me or yelled at me, though. He only hurt my feelings once and boy did he. To think about it makes me sad to this day. My relationship with him now is superficial, distant and confusing because of the betrayal. I love him yet I am not happy with him for betraying his own daughter. Now that I am mature enough to understand it all and discuss it with him he is 73 and not as coherent as he once was.

My non Watchtower, childhood God was kind, thoughtful and loving. I could go to him about anything. I want that God back. Does anyone know where he is? That God didn't make a hell or petty rules for being saved by the way. I'm not looking for that one.

Refiner: does flame queen mean the same thing in Australia that it does here in the USA?

Heather S.

• Prisca
    Prisca

DantheMan and Refiner - glad I made you guys think. That was the purpose of this thread - to get us beyond the fluffiness and take a look at ourselves for a change. Think about why we did things as a JW and to accept some responsibility for those things, understanding our motives for serving God as a JW.

FlyingHighNow - "flame queen" means someone (female) who gets involved in "flame" threads, or online fights. People who like to live in the past regard me as such, whereas I prefer to move on with the future.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

My father was killed when I was 6, in a car wreck.

I don't remember much about him... other than he was quick to 'belt' me - and slow to listen to explanations from a small child.

Did I fear him? Hell, yes!

But I also loved him... I think. I just wanted to do things 'right'. Never was able to do that. Always fell short.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit