Craziest Yearbook experience EVER brother silences talking snake????

by Witness 007 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yearbook 1967 p.105 Chad Africa- "..a large crowd were following a man with a talking serpent. The serpent gave greetings and spoke in foriegn tongues. A brother went to the house and as soon as he entered the serpent went silent. The man yelled "a magican has entered the room!" The brother replied: "Is that a serpent or demon that is talking to you? Since God created man not one serpent has talked except one in the garden of Eden....his serpent remained silent and the man left...later he was eager to get some literature..."

(I feel that the brother who related this experience may have exagerated a bit, but how did the writers let this one in the 1967 yearbook!!!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    maybe he thought Dr Doolittle had called on him?
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

^^^^^

Reminds me of a joke I heard a while back:

A black guy with a parrot on his shoulder goes into a pub. The barman asks 'where did you get that?'

The parrot answers 'from Africa - there's millions of them!'

• TD
    TD

how did the writers let this one in the 1967 yearbook!!!

The 1960's were an era of hysteria about the spirit world and this wasn't just confined to JW's. As near as I can tell, it was triggered by a 1959 book written by a French Monsignor on the dangers of demons and his experiences with them. The book's sensationalistic message spread across denominational lines and even crossed into popular culture via movies like Rosemary's Baby, which might seem tame by today's standards, but was pretty disturbing at the time.

JW literature was full of this stuff (I think the screaming ring was right up there with the talking snake) and it wasn't quite as out of place 50 years ago as it might seem today.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    I'm kinda disappointed I never got to experience talking Smurfs.
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    About ten years ago I heard a talk by a Nigerian brother who came to our hall ( in the US) about demonism. It was clear that he really believed in it and to the US audience it came across as strange. There's definitely a culture difference.
  • steve2
    steve2
    A religion that holds as one of its main beliefs a talking snake cannot be relied upon to censor stupidity.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

BUT it MUST be true if it was approved for printing in the yearbook.

I mean, isn't EVERYTHING verified before being printed? Doesn't the Holy Spirit check for the accuracy?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    Someone passed in this "personal witnessing experience" but seriously a talking snake??? Maybe it was a "Muppet show" snake. A sock on the mans hand?? "
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

It could have happened.

I remember seeing a demonized frog that could sing. [ ;) ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkjsN-J27aU

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit