More tech jobs going to cheap labor in India

by Elsewhere 55 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just announced, Norwich Union, the UKs third largest insurer is sending 700 jobs to India call centres.

I had a thought that the "Bladerunner" story may have inncorrectly predicted that in the future we will all be speaking a mix of US English / Chinese. It just maybe Indian, afterall we are going to have to speak to millions of call centres everyday and understand them. Even more ironic as when India was part of the British Empire, we tried to force English as their first language in the schools.

• Simon
    Simon

Kind of ironic isn't it that when the manufacturing jobs were being lost, the politicians were telling everyone "don't worry ... we're going to be a service industry and there is a great future in call centres"

"Services" are easy to outsource overseas !!

It's not all doom and gloom though. Dell just undid some of their outsourcing because customers complained about the poor service and communication problems.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I phoned Altec Lansing customer support and they were located in Puerto Rico.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    It's not all doom and gloom though. Dell just undid some of their outsourcing because customers complained about the poor service and communication problems.

You beat me to it! While reading the new posts on this thread I was thinking about the same news article.

Irony at it's best.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I keep telling you all to practice saying, "Would you like fries with that sir?"

Will

• Simon
    Simon

Don't forget, the real power is in the hands of the consumer.

If people don't want to see jobs going to India then they should buy from companies who support their local economies.

The state of Indiana also backed out of a foreign outsourcing deal because they did the math and while it appeared cheaper to go to India, it meant that the money wasn't then in the local economy, coming back in taxes etc ... and so looking at the bigger picture wasn't as good.

The problem is, too many companies are run by accoutants with a short term outlook and are just bothered about immediate profits for themselves.

It isn't good for other reasons too - while call centre staff in India are cheap and 'good' (they are college graduates) they earn more than junior doctors so we will end up with the brightest people doing that instead of medicine. This will lead to a shortage of medical staff in the future (every other doctor we see in the UK is Indian)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit