Weekly Meeting Importance Being Reduced - Your Thoughts?

by JWTom 37 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

What will it take to make the transition away from meetings?

JWtom, I don't think it would take that much. Look how quickly they removed the book study. In all my 50 years of association, it was drilled ad nauseum that the book study was THE most important meeting for a JW. The reasoning was that in the event of persecution or or a ban, the book study would provide spiritual solace. But literally overnight, the book study disappeared and no one batted an eye.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I think they've got the JWs afraid of their shadow with COVID to go beyond their back door.

Oh heck yeah. I am still being called every day to "check how you are doing". And when I say I am doing fine I was at the grocer to pick up a few items, or I went to the hardware store for some needed household items; and no, I saw no one else wearing masks and face shields, Tyvek clothes and disposable gloves and I was not either then I get the lecture every single call about how I must listen and obey "The Branch" because they are giving us Gee-HO'-Vuh's instruction for the COVID-19.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

That bookstudy was the meeting with no tie. Actually a get together of sorts. they ran out of people with homes to use, got worried about liability. The saving gasoline was the biggest lie ever. The names became a formality thing.

I can daydream at meeting anyway, zoom just enables it a bit.

Midweek is the most tedious meeting. Unrealistic skits and videos. I wish for a way to project the mystery 3000 audience on the screen. remember when announcements were in the middle of the "2" meetings? I used to wait just long enough to hear them and then left along with several others. I had a job and kids had school. Now you have to wait to the bitter end to hear the poorest reader they have tell about the liberry and pitchers. He even actually said mono- tone- us.

• hybridous
    hybridous

It's quite interesting to see the conflicting interests within the JW Organization work against each other; seeking some resolution (however impermanent).

Regular meetings and the lateral enforcement of JW rules that regular association allows....vs....

'We need the damn $$ from the sale of Kingdom Halls!'

It can't go all one way and still maintain the illusion of religion. It'll settle somewhere, for a new JW reality, (which, truth-be-told, is always sliding around anyhow).

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I think that after being locked down for so long, going to the meeting might be a welcome change for a few minutes but I think there will be many who realize that the whole format is a weird and pointless waste of time they miss not having to go. Especially those who have to travel now because their Hall was sold.

I think it will be something like going back to school at the end of the summer when you're sort of excited to see your old friends but a few minutes after class starts, you suddenly feel trapped again.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Wanna Exit - "But literally overnight, the book study disappeared and no one batted an eye."

Not so, we all quietly jumped for joy on the inside!

RB

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

We jumped for joy, then realized no more goody nights. And then they renamed it and put it at the end of midweek, and made it even more boring. Read a blow by blow of a text, then read the scripture nearly word for word then make sure to use up every one of the 30 minutes with inane questions.

• JWTom
    JWTom

Interest comments all. Thanks for the great thoughts.

BluesBrother: Can you send me a DM?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit