CPAP machines for sleep apnoea.

by zeb 12 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb

I have used a machine for some years. They cost a heap.

Too often they end up pumping a hot plastic smell out and therefore into my lungs. This cant be doing me (anyone) any good.

Get it fixed and months later it goes again.

Anyone else had this experience.?

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Never had that happen. It sounds like your heating element is not working right or are you using distilled water for your tank instead of tap water? That's all I can think of. Still Totally ADD

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Clean your entire water container, hose, and mask as much as possible. Only use distilled water. Replace mask, tube, water filter, water container, and air filter as needed. Do not spill water in your heating element pad that is under your water container. Keep humidity level and heat control to under 70%.

Having sleep apnea is no fun and using a CPAP machine is frustrating. Forced air into your lungs all night in not natural. I have no choice but to use one. My tonsils and tongue are enlarged. My ENT told me that at my age of 57 they will not remove my tonsils. Too dangerous. I will probably need one the rest of my life.

My insurance just paid for my new Resmed CPAP. Every 5 years they will replace your unit for a new one.

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

I've had a cpap for years. I consider it my most valuable possession. Quality sleep can't be overrated.

I used the humidifier with the first one (I'm on my third unit) and didn't care for it. Instead I use a room humidifier. I've rarely had issues with dry nose and throat. I've not experienced a hot plastic smell. I did have an odor problem that involved a particularly gassy bull breed dog who was quickly banned from the bedroom, but that's a whole other story.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I don't use the water reservoir either, I always feel like I'm drowning. Thought I was getting sinus infections from it till I found out I had a bad wisdom tooth that had been infected into my sinus, talk about painful. Tooth out, major antibiotics and problem solved. Gotta have the CPAP though.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Sheeesh , I genuinely feel for you guys , touch wood I`ll never have to use one .

Take care fellars ,and good health and sleep to you all.

• zeb
    zeb

thanks all for your useful and prompt replies.

It is now 7 hours since I turned off the damn thing and after a shower, the bathroom and my breath still stink of plastic;towel stinks, pillow thrown away. I have a dull headache which means I have mild dose of poisoning and nausea. I am drinking all the water I can and the water in my unit is filtered and the hose heating is off.

I went to google and found pages of complaints for the same thing going back years. This means the company has been playing us for mugs.

I got an a/h number called and left my experiences to be past on to the state office here. But I will not be getting another machine. The price for you in the US is less than half what we are hit here for an 'Australian made'..? appliance which also hurts.

Take this on board anyone who is told they need one and seek some other way.

cheers.

• Listener
    Listener

Your symptoms don't sound good at all Zeb and you should get yourself checked out.

It's not easy to find a Doctor open today but you can get a home visit. At the very least, you could initially call Healthdirect on 1800 022 222.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I agree with listener contact a health professional at once and dont delay.

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

I too have a CPAP and have been using for close to 20 years now. This device is fantastic and really gave me my life back. I do not use the humidifyer and let it start full force, rather than the gradual build up. Make sure to change your filters regularly and clean your mask and elestic band at least monthly.

Sounds like you have a faulty device or perhaps it is just not for you. Check with your doctor and/or supplier.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit