Homosexuals and Evolution

by patio34 21 Replies latest social relationships

• JanH
    JanH

Skeptic,

I read that evolutionists believe that homosexuality had/has a survival advantage for the human race as a whole. The male was usually the hunter, and men hunted in groups. Homosexuality helped bond some of these groups together, and so these men worked more effectively together as a unit. Hence, there was a survival advantage to homosexuality. Hence, more of the groups that contained homosexuals survived than those who did not.

Uh oh. This is a a "group selection" argument. Do the math, and you'll see it does not work. If the individual's fitness is reduced by a gene, it does not help one whim if it improves group survival. The gene will still be deleted. Group selection-thinking is not popular among geneticists. If it ever had any role, it is pretty neglible.

I also think the theory is a bit speculative. I don't really see how a few gays among a group of male hunter gatherers helps them bond together. It could just as well work the other way.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• patio34
    patio34

JanH,

As far as group survival goes, Jared Diamond in "The 3rd Chimpanzee" states that just one older person in a tribe could make the difference between the whole tribe's survival. Because of that one person having knowledge of what to eat in a drought, etc., when the younger ones had never experienced such conditions.

This could lead to selection of tribes with older persons.

Of course, this was only in pre-literate societies.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit