Volunteers to help with the site...

by Simon 22 Replies latest forum announcements

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Simon's only request to us has been that we behave in a civilized manner to each other. The vast majority have, and therefore this discussion board has been relatively problem free.

I read somewhere that civilization is a state that can only be achieved from the bottom up. In other words, if the majority of ordinary members in a society make an effort to be civil, the result will be civilization. This cannot be imposed from above by governments (or moderators) without destroying freedom, and provoking those who would otherwise remain civil into destructive rebellion.

It seems to me that H2O suffered this fate. The moderators there tried to impose a form of civility, and succeeded only in antagonizing most of it's members into bad behaviour. When those people came to JW.com, they behaved better. They chose to be civil.

Therefore, imo, moderators are to be avoided. Administrators, as in people who assist with the day to day running, might be useful. But they should not have the power to delete or edit people's posts.

It is to Simon's infinite credit that, while being the only moderator here, he has given us all the freedom to chose civilization. He has put in a lot of time and effort to this site, and I'm sure realized that heavy handed policing would drive participants away, making all his efforts pointless. Other moderators do not have all that time and effort to lose, and so would be much more cavalier about the results of their moderation.

Simon: is it possible to have administrative assistants without creating moderators? Hey, maybe we could call them Ministerial Servants!

Expatbrit

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Moderator is simply a title. The people who perform the function give meaning to the title. I've been on several boards for quite awhile, and so have been asked to moderate. One was one of Kent's boards. Since he simply didn't have the time to check on things, he asked several of us to look after things for him.

I was also asked to moderate on Witnet.....then it died. (hmmmm.....Kent's board went pretty quiet right after I was appointed a moderator....hmmmmm). Perhaps that is a bad sign, although one other board is still up and running.

I can honestly say that I've never deleted a post, and the other moderators are also loathe to do anything like that. H2O seems to be unusual in the amount of deletions and editing that went on. I think that any board with active JWs as moderators tends to be over-moderated.

This board has had very few "bad apples", and very little need for deletions.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Simon,
    I understand the overwhelming need for help. I have often wondered about the drain on your time.
    Moderating is a little scary to me though. It could turn into a power thing. Which we are all very familiar with. Your balance and lenience have amazed me over the months!!
    All I can say, is if you decide to go with this plan, choose wisely!! Which I know you will.
    TW

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Obviously there is a need for a very few to have access to moderating tools in EXTREME circumstances. For all the talk of problems here, the board does an excellent job moderating itself for the most part and that has alot to do with your (Simon's) attitude regarding your own use of moderating tools.

One thing I'd suggest is that there only be a couple who have access to these tools and that our emails that are locked not be accessible to these ones.

Also perhaps a limit of 2 threads/per day in the MAIN forum per person to encourage use of other forums and repeat threads (ie 5 "PRINCE JW" threads). It is also difficult to monitor an extreme amount of threads. Limiting the number of threads encourages more replies and discussion and more quality topics. The more suggestions that can be implemented into the board program itself, the less need there is for the "human element" in policing everyone that we all hate so much.

The community here is doing very well. Greater numbers do increase difficulties. But the last thing any former Witness wants to see is abuse of authority. Very few people can detach themselves from their feelings and moderate impartially and let things go that can be let go. So, as has been said, choose wisely.

Not every problem in life and in your community at home can you run to someone to make things better. People left alone generally will find some way of resolving things. It is just the RARE individual who is bent on creating problems that needs to be dealt with.

Path

• Celtic
    Celtic

Venice has been nagging me like a dripping tap to join this board for a while so here I am. You stateside or Brit' side. How do you fund this site? Do you need assistance with funding sources, grants etc?

Ex witness from 6 years back, living in Cornwall. Member of independent 'think tank', The Community action Network www.can-online.org.uk (share same building as Demos, New Era, Seed UK and many other wonks). If you need assistance, advice in any way, shape or form, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
    or tel --326 314080, just ask for Mark but don't mention what about as JW family living in the same house might just answer the phone and cause difficulties - you understand?!!

Nice board matey, bottoms up, I'll buy you a pint sometime.

peace

mark

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Marc, (that's usa southern for hi/hello)

Simon might see this later, but I wanted to be sure and say welcome to our forum.

Glad Venice made your life miserable till you came on over!

Welcome - and what sort of think tank do you belong to?

waiting

• Celtic
    Celtic

Thanks for your reply.

You can view the main site by checking us out on www.can-online.org.uk

The CAN Community Action Network is a community based pro-active think tank dealing with all issues relating to community deprivation nationally and internationally especially within the arena of social exclusion which definately applies to ex jw's.

Have a look at the site and let me know what you think of it.

peace

mark

• Tina
    Tina

Ditto what expat said.
    Dear Simon,
    While I appreciate that you need assistance(and I'm happy to help in any way )

I wouldnt be surprised if those who jump on the moddy bandwagon arent former mods from other places.
    I can think of a few posters who already have tried to get reasonable posters to do things their way.What I read is just too much power for anyone to have over a members postings. And as much as we'd like evryone to be fair,different people have differnt opinions and values on what constitutes what's Ok and not Ok.
    (sense of foreboding)

But let me take this opportunity to thank you SImon for allowing me in your 'home' here. I've gotten so much from this board.Best wishes,Tina
    Just some thoughts FWIW

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Just wanted to let you know that I spend the better part of the day on your board, so I would be happy to help in any way that you need.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Y'all,

Simon hasn't said anything further about volunteering time - but there are two threads running now about his expenses he incurs every month for us.

Please check in on those threads (don't have the name of them, duh.) and help spread the word that Simon spends $200.00 every month for this place.

I had no idea that it was that expensive for web space. If 25, 50, 100 of us helped shoulder the costs for him, perhaps he'd post more, eh?

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit