Comments You Will Not Hear at the 10-5-03 WT Study

by blondie 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kj
    kj

I really enjoy reading these! Thank you for all the research you do. It helps me to keep current with the GARBAGE that is being spoonfed to my JW family members. Keep up the good work.

kj

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Too bad we couldn't just take Micah's words as he wrote them. No, we had to "interpret" them to mean just the opposite!

The quotation of Micah 6:8 that you quoted from Eugene Peterson's The Message Bible translation is much more clear and honest than the Society's version: "What GOD is looking for in men and women...It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don't take yourself too seriously -- take God seriously."

Peterson has captured Micah's non-legalistic spirit much better than the NWT has. And the Society has violated every precept that Micah writes here. They have taken what is "quite simple" and subjected it to Pharisee-like tradition. Simple principles they have transformed into a Talmud of thousands of rules and regulations.

Yes, too bad.

• blondie
    blondie

Good job, Maverick

They "extend" and "stretch" Bible scriptures and mix them with WatchTower quotes, then add in some goofy or sappy experiences which may or may not have anything to do with their main point(lessness) and Bamm! You have the study article of the week,(weak)!

Be careful, the Writing Committee may be looking for you to add to their ranks.

95, thanks for the insider info.

Yes they were. There were "brothers" who were allowing their businesses to be used as fronts for contracting companies to expedite the cashing of insurance checks made out to both homeowners and leinholders, leinholders wo required that proof be submitted that work was actually done.

Is this illegal/fraud?

Good possible happening, Perry.

Elder: And you do remember what happened to Annanias and Sephira when they didn't give all the money belonging to the brothers don't you?

Push that guilt button, works almost every time.

Hi kj,

keep current with the GARBAGE that is being spoonfed to my JW family members

I think it is force-fed myself. I knew of quite a few that squirmed in their seats after certain statements.

Good observations, OHD.

Peterson has captured Micah's non-legalistic spirit much better than the NWT has. And the Society has violated every precept that Micah writes here. They have taken what is "quite simple" and subjected it to Pharisee-like tradition. Simple principles they have transformed into a Talmud of thousands of rules and regulations.

He certain adds color to a simple but powerful scripture. The WTS is a nest of Pharisees who of course made the word of God invalid with their traditions. The WTS replaces the Bible with their publications.

Blondie

• willyloman
    willyloman
    What about today? Do we not see similar conditions? Like Micah, we are surrounded by a lack of justice, an atmosphere of distrust, and a breakdown of social and family life. (and that is only in the congregation!)

Your footnote is precisely what I was thinking when I read this!

Just a comment about your excellent series, O Blonde One: At our house, we've come to view it as a movie review of sorts; if it sounds like crap, we make plans to do something else; if it sounds harmless, we decide to go and keep one oar in the water (although we are getting closer and closer to selling the boat).

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Happy Birthday Blondie! Thanks for your gift to us.You are one gifted woman,I hope you and yours are faring well.

So now the Society is using "VENTRILOQUISM".The art or practice of speaking so that the 'VOICE' seems to come from some source other than the speaker,hence ,the voice of the WT Society is the voice of God.

Wasn't ventriloquism used by Satan in the Garden of Eden,with the talking snake?

Blueblades

• blondie
    blondie

Hi, willy. It is all harmful, just some articles are more concentrated then others. I remember someone saying I should buy a certain vitamin product because it was "natural." I pointed out that cyanide was "natural" too but I wasn't going to be ingesting any real soon.

When you consider the quality of comments at the WTS, nothing new is added. Reading it at home should be sufficient. At the meeting I used to go up to people and ask them a specific question about the WT just studied. Their response? "Uh, duh, (add a generic response that fits any of the 24 issues that year).

Blueblades, (I keep thinking of a pirate when I see your username),

So now the Society is using "VENTRILOQUISM".The art or practice of speaking so that the 'VOICE' seems to come from some source other than the speaker,hence ,the voice of the WT Society is the voice of God

Good application.

Blondie

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

Blondie I really enjoy your reviews.

This particular comment from the WBTS really hit home for me. My hubby is still a JW.

Paragraph 9: "a lack of justice has led to a lack of trust between companions, confidential friends and even marriage mates. "....."wherein relatives as close as sons and fathers, daughters and mothers, despise one another."

Of course they (WBTS) does not apply this paragraph to themselves. But we have all heard the horror stories that prove otherwise.

There is such a wedge in my marriage because of my hubby being a JW. I've had to go through losing my religion, faith, finding out the truth about the truth, alone in silence. He doesn't want to hear it, he has figuratively shut the door and locked it on me. I feel like I'm walking on eggs around him, certain things are just not talked about openly anymore. I feel the trust is gone (apostates are capable of anything, they are pure evil, don't you know), and at times I do feel despised. This is all because my conscience would no longer let me belong to the JW religion.

Paragraph 12 makes me puke.

"How do people of all nations hear the very voice of Jehovah"......"Of course people today do not literally hear God's voice. Through our worldwide preaching work, however Jehovah's voice is being heard"

WBTS is sure full of themselves. Blondie, I liked your quote from Acts 12:21-23 it sure fits. Paraphrased, God is going to strike down those that claim to speak for God but don't.

So according to the WTBS salvation depends on having a JW contact you with the loving message of "join us or die". If this is not accepted, your bird food. What about the billions of people that have never heard of JWs (lucky them)? After all the WBTS said "all nations will hear the voice of Jehovah" (the WTBS voice). Basically the JW religion is preached in parts of the world that Christian Missionaries (non jws) that had already opened up the way, and the WTBS took advantage of their work.

One other thought, I remember reading about that terrible storm that hit Texas on this board. Basically, if I remember correctly, wasn't the materials that was donated all similar (bought in bulk), so that everyone that had their homes repaired by the loving brothers had the same carpet, flooring, cabinets, etc. Does anyone remember? Is this right? For some reason this seems to stick out in my mind.

Hapgood

• blondie
    blondie

Hapgood, welcome. It must be difficult to love your husband but not his religion.

What about the billions of people that have never heard of JWs (lucky them)?

Actually, the WTS does not teach that everyone has to be contacted before the end comes. Of course, they speak with the voice of God (not).

Hope you had a good weekend. What do you do when your hubbie goes to the meetings?

Blondie

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

Hi Blondie! Thanks for the welcome. In answer to your question to what do I do when my hubby is at the meetings (mostly just the Sunday meetings anymore), I'm usually hanging out on this message board. This place helps keep me sane :-)

Hapgood

• blondie
    blondie

Hapgood, it is good to hear that this board is helping you and me (and many others).

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit