Have you reunited with anyone from your past?

by kyria 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Xandria
    Xandria
    Well, I did get to reconnect with my sister, Xan, after a quite a loooooooong time apart!

Hopefully never again for that long sis... I have heard snippets of people I once knew in the congs.. some have left and some are still in.

X.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Since my real name is in my Profile and my screen name contains part of my unique last name, I am hoping that someone lurks on here and sees my name an contacts me. That would be awesome!

To date, other than my sister (who wasn't "long-lost"), I haven't reconnected with any JW's from times past. However, I have reconnected with old friends by going on classmates.com. The benefit? I have done a lot of anti-witnessing to my so-called worldly associates and I have apologized to them if I ever came across as a self-righteous jackass!

• kyria
    kyria

Thank you so much for the link to that board!

It's funny, there are some people that I just have a feeling about. They had the kind of personality that said they might have gotten out. But you never know, right?

My mother is trying to get reinstated now so I've managed to find out about a couple old friends (the maid of honor at my wedding) and was very sad to find that they're still brainwashed. For example, the story about the woman who wants her kids raised by her dub hubby. I'm not sure if I'm ready to handle that right now.

I don't want to bring up the topic too often with mom, of course. Just when I feel like handling a lecture.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I reconnected with the only person I ever got along with in the congregation. We met up, had a couple of beers, smoked about a pack of cigarettes, and caught up. He told me about doing the accounting while high on cocaine, working the literature department stoned, distributing cocaine to other JWs, etc.

• Jimmer
    Jimmer

Gopher and I reunited a couple of years ago after a quarter century!

Boy have we swapped stories. I was Best Man at his wedding this summer.

"It was the best of times..."

• Piph
    Piph

I just barely missed my 10yr high school reunion, but I found one of my school friends on classmates.com. :) She's married and has a couple of kids...they're a nice family. We do stuff with them from time to time.

It's funny...I told them we weren't going to be JW's anymore and they were like, "oh, that's nice." It's sad to me how big of a deal changing religions has to be sometimes. To some people it's about a big a deal as changing your socks. LOL But her husband had been around Mormons so we got to sharing weird religion stories. Haha

I want to find my friends growing up who got df'd or fell away. I would dearly love to catch up with them. I recently learned that one of them committed suicide last week.

My cousin, who I've never been close to and lives out of state, has quit going to meetings. I'm dying to know why. Same with another close friend of mine I don't see too much anymore...

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I was engaged to a sister.

Her brother and I were close. We used to write to each other, and later call each other.

Then I left in the fall/winter 1983/84. My mindset would not allow me to call this person. I just disappeared.

1999/2000 rolls around, and here we are in the modern ages of the Internet. I go to a website (exJW site) which was run by then: Tishie (THANKS TISHIE ).

I post a thread on the 'looking for other JW/XJWs'.

I decide to take a long look through the list. I am almost at the very last page, and I see a name that jumps right out at me. I nearly died! I couldn't believe it. So, I e-mail the name. Turns out to be my buddy's wife. They had been married almost 20 years, and had 2 grown kids (I never knew).

We arrange to meet up, and we do, in August 2000, in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

It was so surreal. I just kept looking at my friend, and it was like: not happening.

We hear from each other now and again, but we both work opposite of one another.

When I can, I still keep searching. You just never know who got smart, or wise and left.

I wish you success Kyria in your searches.

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

Yes, actually I have. And it was none other than the young man who got me in trouble to begin with! He and I instant message each other all the time. He's married with a family now, as am I. He apologized to me for everything and begged my forgiveness (which he already had). He's still a JW. Most of the JWs that were my REAL friends don't shun me. For that I suppose I'm fortunate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit