Why infant baptism in Jehovah's Witnesses?

by Antonio_Madaleno 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Antonio_Madaleno
    Antonio_Madaleno

"Adult baptism was not simply a question of religious dogma; it was an issue of power. If baptism was delayed until adulthood​—thus allowing a person to make a decision based on faith—​some might not get baptized at all. And individuals not baptized would, at least to a degree, remain outside the control of the church. For some churches, adult baptism meant a loss of power." - w04 6/15 pp. 11-13

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

JWs don't baptize infants, unless there was a change in doctrine recently.

That looks like an explanation of why other churches may have instituted the practice. JWs do allow fairly young people to get baptized, but I think the youngest are 9 or 10 and those are relatively rare.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

JWs brag about children as young as 6 being baptized. They are for the most part precocious snots.

A reasonable age would be past puberty and close to if not at an age where important decisions ( marriage comes to mind) can be made

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Borg praises people from dunking their kids as young as 6.

I dont see how that's any different from infant baptism.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

WT is desperate to indoctrinate toddlers, preschoolers & school-age kiddos because it's loosing the challenge of winning over teenagers & it has definitely lost the war converting grown adults.

• btlc
    btlc

Just to be clear, baptism in JW and baptism in Catholic Church (for example) are two very different things. Baptism in JW has weight similar to "confirmation" in CC, both requires spiritual maturity and basic knowledge of faith and represent final step in joining the brotherhood. In CC, baptism is just a first step, in JW it is last. Watchtower intentionally mislead their readers equalizing baptism here and baptism there.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    The Borg praises people from dunking their kids as young as 6.
    I dont see how that's any different from infant baptism.

For anyone that doesn't agree with that, how young would a child have to be in order to be considered 'an infant'? I went to the 'Infants' school from age 5 to 7. I then went to 'Junior' school from age 7 to 11.

I would say that the org doesn't baptise BABIES, but it sure baptises INFANTS.

George

• pokertopia
    pokertopia

새로 태어나려면 충분히 살았을 때 새로 태어나는 것이 좋습니다. 왜냐하면 너무 어릴 때 새로 태어나면 두 번째 생애의 기간이 그만큼 처음 생애의 기간과 겹쳐서 짧게 됩니다. 따라서 침례도 늦게 받을수록 좋습니다. 이것의 영적 의미는 워치 타워 교리를 충분히 검토해 볼 시간을 가진다는 것을 뜻합니다. 그러나 너무 늙으면 이 역시 지적, 영적 분별력이 줄어들므로 충분히 성인이 된 30세에 침례를 받는 것이 좋습니다. 예수도 30세에 침례를 받았습니다.

다시 태어나고 싶다면 충분히 살았을 때 다시 태어나는 것이 좋습니다. 너무 어렸을 때 거듭나면 두 번째 인생의 기간이 첫 번째 인생의 기간과 겹쳐서 짧아지기 때문입니다. 그러므로 나중에 침례를 받을수록 좋습니다. 그 영적 의미는 워치 타워 교리를 완전히 검토하는 데 시간이 걸린다는 것을 의미합니다. 그러나 너무 나이가 들면 지적, 영적 분별력이 떨어지므로 충분히 성인이 되었을 때 30세에 세례를 받는 것이 좋습니다. 예수는 30세에 침례를 받았습니다.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit