Mid - Week Meeting This Week

by xjwsrock 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Millie210 posted this on another thread - I thought it deserved it's own OP:

I took an elderly friend to the meeting last night. The study is in the "Imitate Their Faith" book which is merely a compilation of previous short stories about Bible characters that were featured in a series of Watchtower articles.

They waste no time beginning their spinning and supposition with the Cain/Abel story. They launch a theory that perhaps Eve had the prophecy of Gen. 3:15 in mind when she uttered the words "I have produced a man with the aid of Jehovah".

They slyly introduce this thought with the phrase "her words suggest..." this is what she thought.
    Her words in no way suggest anything of the sort but they dont let that fact interfere whatsoever as they continue to build on it but switch tactics and ask the statement they had just made but now its in question form:

"Did Eve think she was the woman mentioned in Genesis 3 and Cain was the seed"?
    They could have just as easily asked was Eve a unicorn? Because at this point they have just turned it in to a question...no liability/accountability there, right?

They then go on to make some strong statements prefaced with "if"

If she fed Cain such ideas growing up, they did his imperfect pride no good."

Then they mention Abel and his names meaning. The meaning is supposedly "breath" "air" "vapor". This word can be used as vanity also as it is later in Ecclesiastes. So guess which meaning they leap on? Breath? Nope.

Vanity. They then make the jaw dropping statement followed by the sneaky question:
    Did that choice of a name reflect lower expectations as if they put less hope in Abel than in Cain?

We can only guess"

Now that this groundwork has been laid (on absolutely nothing) they warn parents not to "fail" with their children like Eve did by fostering pride and ambition instead of love for Jehovah (apparently these are the only two choices in child rearing) lest you end up with a murderer for a son.

Of course by this time the informational damage has been done. No one discounts everything above when they see that final statement. Instead they get the heavy message that what Cain did is Eves fault and it was due to bad parenting which is defined as NOT teaching your child to love Jehovah but to have pride and ambition instead.

I guess its because my eyes are so open now but I see this SO clearly and I was completely dumbfounded at the audacity with which they do it AND with the apparent nonchalance of the audience who parroted back comments without any seeming shock whatsoever.

Oh, and one final though. They dont have their definition of Abels name very accurately rendered either if you look at outside sources.

Im so glad I got asked to go and that I went. It reinforced why NOT going is such a good idea. In my search for truth, they merely snarl up the process. Such a waste of time.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Typical WTBTS spin on the Cain/Abel story.

SL

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

That study was dreadful.

It was so bad I just laughed to myself at times during the meeting. It really is just a joke what these people are willing to swallow. The whole spinning flaming sword thing too. I mean really? When was the last time you saw one of those?( Not to mention the obvious anachronism of inserting a bronze age weapon into a stone age story.)

I was mainly bothered myself by what for me was a new thought. Why the hell would Abel become a shepherd with so few people on earth? They didn't eat meat supposedly. It's not like he could sell the wool to a neighboring village.

There was one family on the entire planet!!

Imagine being shipwrecked on an island with half a dozen people. If one guy starts gathering sheep and leading them around instead of gathering firewood or hunting for some food or building a tent or whatever, you would kick his ass!! Get to work you stupid fool! We don't have time to play with animals you fu&&ing moron!

Anyhow I see it as another anachronism of a writer writing in the bronze age. He sees shepherds around and weaves that trade into the Genesis story. There is no way in hell the 2nd man born of woman would become a shepherd. Maybe a fisherman, but not a shepherd.
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000

I know how this person felt. I remember the last memorial i went to a few years ago after being awake. I was rolling my eyes so much i could almost see my brain.

But when you are in it, you just go through the motions. It's almost like you put your brain in cruise control and you just sit back during the meeting and just let it ride. Now, you dissect every word you listen and you analyze it.

• pixel
    pixel
    Why not? They have their own little Bible translation, why not have their own Little-Bible-Stupid-Interpretation?
  • millie210
    millie210

thank you xjwsrock!

I was completely floored at the entire content of the study.

Did I really used to sit through this stuff every week?

Good point about the anachronism of inserting a bronze age weapon into a stone age story.

• sir82
    sir82

I had the same response.

The whole preface to the book is about how faith is based on "solid evidence".

3 pages later, we get "evidently....likely....her words suggest.. may have....if so.....we can only guess...."

I'm no attorney, but if I were in a court, and my opponent's best argument used those weasel words, I'd win in a NY Bethel minute.

• prologos
    prologos
    That study was dreadful.

the obvious anachronism of inserting a bronze age weapon into a stone age story.)

a new thought. Why would Abel become a shepherd with so few people on earth? They didn't eat meat.

yeah, why would "god" be pleased with carrion as a gift? if meat did not become cosher for higher predators until after the flood? vegetarians all, except god?

next week the flood!! --while the angels were still twirling the swords, while Noah nursed his sore muscles from all that hand&arm powered woodwork. and lions, tigers eating straw, even in the ark, leaving the count of the animals at par for the trip.

If you Imitate Their Faith, you must have an Imitation Faith. There was no talking snake, twirling swords, flood.

• stillin
    stillin
    A substitute for actual thought. That's what the meetings have been all along.
  • xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Dang stillin, that is so true.

Mindless zombies nodding their heads and regurgitating the paragraph. Nuts...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit