"The Former Things Will Not Be Called to Mind” How Can This work!

by The Bethelite 5 Replies latest jw friends

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

My previous thread talked about how the JWs believe that Jah will magically remove all memories of their dead loved ones in the "new system." Thus no sorrow. OK so god will erase all memories of your dead children from your mind. So of course a person must ask will god erase the memory of your children out of your mind, or everyone's mind? If he does that to everyone's mind then no one will have any memories of anybody's children. How could that work?

If that works then the conversation in the "new system" would go something like this.

"So Mary what happen to all the children?

"I don't know it seems odd that there isn't many children around."

"Did you have kids in the old system?"

"I don't remember but maybe I did, because of all these stretch marks on my belly."

"But I don't remember a damn thing."

What would make more sense is god erases the memories of your dead children out of your mind but everyone still can remember them in their minds.

"So Bob tell me I really have the feeling that I had kids in the old system and I loved them very much but for some odd reason I can't seem to remember them. Do you know anything about children I might of had?"

"I can't tell you Susan!"

Susan says "I got to know Bob. I'll tell you what I'll make you a deal, I'll tell you about your dead children and you tell me about mine!"

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Is it possible that the problem is not so much the Bible as the WT explanation?

For example, Isa 65:16-17 does not actually say that God will erase memories. The meaning might be that there will be good times to such an extent that the past troubles will fade into the background, no longer being a concern.

Even today people tend to put their past troubles behind them when good times come. They, no doubt, remember what happened in the past. But present good times mean that they don't dwell on the past.

• zeb
    zeb

bobcat. As i said think of people who have survived a war, the holocaust or some calamitous disaster of nature. Yes its in the memory but we dont dwell on it.

The wt idea of memory erasure is to make individuals robots..once again.

or are they afraid that in some new order people are not to remember any of the wt f*** ups..

• sparky1
    sparky1

As usual, Jehovah's Witnesses take a scripture out of context and assign a meaning to it. If you read the full context, it would or could seem to indicate that Jehovah is doing the forgetting and not calling to mind his peoples past transgressions. Verses 16 and 17 should be read together:

"16. So that anyone who seeks a blessing for himself in the earth, Will be blessed by the God of truth, And anyone who swears an oath in the earth Will swear by the God of truth. For the former distresses will be forgotten; They will be concealed from my (Jehovah's) eyes, 17. For look! I am creating a new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be called to mind, Nor will they come up into the heart." Interestingly enough, verse 16 is cross referenced to Isaiah 12:1 which states: "In that day you will certainly say: "I thank you, O Jehovah, For although you were angry with me, Your anger gradually subsided, and you comforted me."

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Every morning when I let my dog out into the backyard, he acts as excited as if it was his first time out there. He didn’t forget about the back yard, he knows where he is but once he sees it again, it’s all fresh and new to him.

It seems to me that in order to live forever without going bonkers, ones memory pattern or perspective of time would have to be altered somehow.

I think that scripture is talking about an “out-of-sight...out-of-mind” situation where the memories are still there but aren’t called to mind unless they are brought up somehow and why would they be after a thousand years of the world being blissfully perfect?.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    The Bethelite - "The former things will not be called to mind... how can this work?"

Brain damage, usually. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit