Mags on tape

by Eyebrow2 1 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Several years ago I was going to college full time. I also was a single mom, so I needed to work...I took on a 7 day paper-route...drove at least 65 miles everday from 2 to 6 AM...not a lot of money, but I needed the daytime for school...and godforbid I miss any meetings. I must admit I really enjoyed them at the time.

Anywhoo...I requested a subscription to both the watchtower and awake so I could keep up with my mags while I was working since I was following behind. I actually had to REQUEST PERMISSION..I filled out the forms, and then an elder drilled me (politely of coursse) as to why I needed the mags on tape. Well, I got them, but since I was donating pretty generously, I was always a little annoyed at the fact that I had to justify why I wanted them.

Have any of you ever had this experience?

I was packing stuff for the move, and my mother pointed out I had left several of the tapes in her kitchen. She was not pleased when I said no thanks you can have them, and my concordance and my old mags...I just said that I had no use for anything that I could not read or listen to on cd or cd-rom...I brought up the story and of course she said...well, they have to make sure that they are giving to the right people..to witnesses. So I looked at her and said (with a serious expression heehe) "Hmmm...who knows what would happen if this information should fall in the wrong hands!" Yes, she knew I was being a smart ass....but I was a smart ass as a JW (although not about the religion then) so she is used to me.

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

No, you're right on this point. The policy about the tapes is was ridiculous. It's all moot now, of course, since they have almost completely stopped issuing cassette tapes to anyone. This was issued as a policy guideline in late 2002 or early 2003, as I recall. So, no one gets tapes now, unless you're blind, unable to read Braille and bed-ridden.

Such a loving provision from Jehovah's organization - overscrutinize anyone wanting tapes and then cut them off altogether later to pinch a penny or two.

Last summer and during the fall, we would take our 'used' Awake tapes, (some of which we never listened to even once), and try to give them out to truckers at the roadside stops by the Interstate. The thought was that since most truckers don't read much, they might want a free cassette to listen to on the road.

It was not a very succesful mission - most of the truckers thought we were some kind of inspector when we approached their rigs with suit and tie on- and after a while this whole idea fizzled out, like a firecracker fuse in a rainstorm.

It's just another one of those many things that make me glad I am no longer in the Twuth. They can take those cheap-ass poor-quality iron oxide-coated tapes and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

...And I don't gotta preach to no stupid, ignorant, indifferent heathen truck drivers anymore, either. Hooray.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit