Anybody work in an IT help desk position? How stressful is it?

by DanTheMan 18 Replies latest jw friends

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Is this strictly a telephone support position? It would be good to be spelled off so you can do deskside support as well. I've seen too many fine help desk support techs burn out from stress within 2 years because they haven't been given other responsibilities or opportunities to get away from the phones. It's a great way to break into the IT field, but try to eventually move beyond phone support.

Walter

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Dan. Is the organization national? Are there properly appointed agents in every state? If its national and you have to appoint agents as the need arises (as I have to) you will find it super stressful (as I do). If you have to deal with national warranty matters and fix warranty machinery you will find it stressful. The big question with warranty is WHO PAYS? In the end someone has to pay, or you are losing money on labour. With Warranty you will find noone wants to pay but everyone wants it fixed RIGHT NOW.

It sounds like a golden opportunity, as long as you want the responsibility ( and the stress). Hope this helps.

• JT
    JT

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!11

both Lady "C" and myself are IT folks and it is the greatest move we could have ever made since leaving wt--

if you enjoy learning then this is the move to make

• jwbot
    jwbot

I was a tech support representative for MSN. UUUGH IT SUCKED!!! PEOPLE ARE STOOOOOOPID. That is all. It actually gave me funny stories to tell and make fun of people...it was the company I worked for that I hated more. If your company is laid back, allow you to have a little rest before and after each call (instead, I had call after call after call...stressful) then it might be an ok place to work.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Have absolutely no clue about the tech support venue. But your comment on the commute time is of concern. Please give consideration to the extra stress this will add as well as the stress of a new job. Are you stressed already? Can you handle the increased stress? How does your spouse feel about the additional travel time?

Wish you success in whatever you decide.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

It can be stressy... you just need the right attitude. Here is an example of the right attitude;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html

Essentially, the caller is the enemy, a brainless-missbegoten subhuman whose problems are of passing amusement, and whose opinions are not really something that impinges upon your feelings of self-worth.

Well, it's not quite that bad...

... but the Helpdesk people in my company typically last 18 months. In both my last jobs I;ve started off on the Helpdesk and made it out of the Helpdesk as fast as possible; 4 months in my last company from galley slave, I mean helpdesk person to galley slave whipper, I mean Supervisor, and seven months with my current company to get off the helpdesk and into client management.

I had the advantage of having scads of previous experienece, and being willing to take the nasty job for a few months knowing I'd be a shoo in for the better one.

Outside of that... I don't know if I'd go for it.

What volumes of calls would you be taking? Would you be doing E-mails too?

Basically, if you have fifty or so customer contacts a day it will be survivable. If you're expected to do more, then you will hate it unless you are an adreniline junky. Under thirty, unless they really do take 15 minutes each, is quite okay.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You may find it amusing to consider the chronicles of "The Bastard Operator From Hell":

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bofh/

Some people are better at tech support than others - not everyone finds it stressful. I think one thing that makes a big difference is the support person's attitude toward his customers. If he views his customers as an imposition on his otherwise peaceful day, he will hav problems. If he understands that customers are the only reason his job exists, and if he tries to keep an attitude of gratitude and empathy for his customers, the customers will love him.

Management, of course, is a "whole 'nuther story," as any disiple of Dilbert knows. Lower Management exists solely to inject fear, anxiety and confusion into the lives of the people doing the real work.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Stinky, from what little I know about him, it sounds like 'drawz is more of a computer enthusiast than I am, so he would probably find help desk work more enjoyable than I would.

iiz, yes I do believe it would be strictly telephone support, with maybe a little bit of down time for other projects. Burnout is a concern, I would hope that I wouldn't be in such a position for an extended period of time.

r_f, this is more of a software, techie type of position than what I think you're referring to.

JT - this job would definitely be a 'breakout' job for me if I can land it - I know I've got the smarts for IT, just not the experience.

'bot - Yes, people are STOOOPID, I'm sure you get people asking why their mouse doesn't work (because they're trying to use it like a TV remote) etc.

sadelder - Yes the commute time is of concern, if I get the job I might consider moving. Traffic sucks, and it's only getting worse here in central Ohio.

Abbaddon & Nathan - that BOFH stuff is pretty hilarious. Nathan, you're right about certain people stressing more than others. I currently work in an inbound c/s call center where I'm dealing more with shipping/returns/billing/availability issues. Somedays I stress like hell, but other days are no problem. So most, if not all, of the stress is my perceptions and reactions.

I just found out today that another guy in my department is applying for the job, and I think he is way more qualified for it. So I'm not pinning my hopes on getting this position. I'll keep y'all updated.

from Nathan's link:

"Now, is there a plastic ruler somewhere on or in the desk?"

"Um >clunka<, yes..."

"Right. You've got a static buildup on your hard-drive caused by the changing electrostatic field generated by the ruler - the same thing that makes bits of paper stick to it when you rub it up and down your arm..."

DUMMY MODE ON

"Oh. What do I do?"

"You know how you get paper off a ruler by hitting it on a table lots of times? Well do that with your PC. Say 20 times - lift it about a foot off the desk & drop it."

"Oh. OK"

>crash<

>crash<

>crash<

"Um, the screen went dark"

"That's ok, it's supposed to do that - keep going. And when you're finished, do the screen as well, that static may have gone up the wires to it."

>crash<

>crash<

>crash<...

• Valis
    Valis

Hey Dan, I did phone support for several large contracts including Compuserve, Netscape, MSN Disney, and a few unknowns, and I can tell you that yes it can be very stressful. If you are doing inhouse tech support, that makes it a lot easier, but when you deal with customers its a whole new ballgame. Some of the things that I have found, and I tell this to my help desk students, is ALWAYS give yourself destress time every day when you get off the phones. Whether its exercise, a walk, music, a beer, whatever. You will need some quiet time to want to keep doing suuport. Trust me on this one. I remember going home and not even wanting to talk to anyone on my phone, cuz I was just plain tired of yapping. You also want to make sure your work environment is ergonimic as possible. Bring out the comfy chair! Best of luck and take care.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit