Musings on the WTS Funk

by Farkel 18 Replies latest jw friends

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

You GO, Farkel. Very well said.

I well recall the WT study articles in the early 1970's on "The Dangers of Independent Thinking." And standing on people's doorsteps refusing to take so much as a tract from their church, while doing my damndest to make them take the WT and AWAK.

It took me a long time after walking away before I was ready to join another church, and did so only after VERY careful consideration. Fortunately, Episcopalians don't much care about "getting down to specifics." It would throw a damper on the wine and cheese party after Sunday Eucharist. (Imagine that after the Sunday WT Study!)

I'm not sure its fair to say all JW converts are "lazy"--people join for a variety of reasons, most of them good. But if they aren't intellectually lazy when they start, the Society does everything it can to make them that way.

Thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed it. Very true.

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• Duncan
    Duncan

Great Post, Farkel.

Your point about "intellectual laziness" was well argued. I'll tell you what, though - what'll make your postings easier to grasp:

Did you ever think of maybe numbering the paragraphs and then, like, writing these little questions underneath, so that we can all get the point?

I'm sure some folks might even enjoy underlining the answers to the questions! That way we can all be sure that we're in total and united agreement with the full and weighty import of the post!

What a truly thrilling and upbuilding arrangement that would be! Surely all right-hearted persons would show godly appreciation for such bounteous blessings!

Your brother,

Duncan

• Faraon
    Faraon

NOJW86,

SFJ as you said getting bolder and more rude. Well I had an elder spit as I walked past him how about that. Shocked as I was I spit right back at him.

What this elded did to you is called assault. I had a person spit on me. He was smiling in court until the judge told him he better get a lawyer because he was facing up to one year in jail and one thousand dollars in fines.

He went to look for me and told me he had lost his job that day, etc. I told him he had to at least reinburse me US $290.00 for two days work (this happened over 10 years ago) that I lost going to court, and to apologize to me in front of the people that saw him spit on me.

He promised to do so. He paid me the money, but never apologized in public.

I tell you this so that you know that to spit on someone is no funny matter in the eyes of the law.

Had you called the cops on him, he would not be an elder no more, and the public would be more informed as to the true nature of JWs

JRP

• TMS
    TMS

a small portion of Mr. Angry's words on the options facing the GB:

"Become even more fundamental, tightening their grip furhter. In which case they still stand to lose thousands who finally get fed up with the ever restrictive lifestyle imposed from without. Those who simply can't take anymore of the petty rules on a day to day basis decide to get out before what freedom of thought they have is strangled altogether."

These words remind me of the Rehoboam incident and I think its the direction the "spirit-directed organization" will go. "My father chastised you with whips. I will chastise you with scourges."

Relaxation of rules and doing what is right from the heart was given a small go in the early 70's and was catastrophic. There may be some limited "simplification" in the hours spent at meetings and field service, but more actual control of belief and conduct requirements.

More succinctly put, I suspect those anticipating reform will be disappointed.

TMS

• You Know
    You Know

There is a saying, that a stopped clock is right twice a day. Also: the blind pig will eventually get the root if he ruts long enough. Both sayings illustrate how in your case, someone utterly devoid of any spiritual comprehension can get lucky. LOL Indeed, the Scriptures do liken Jehovah's organization to a flower that has lost its blossom and to certain ones among Jehovah's own people who have become overpowered as if with wine. That why Jehovah's judicial decisions come against his own house first so that only a faithful remnant will be restored and ultimately receive salvation. That of course leaves the apostates with the disturbing question: 'If the righteous man is saved with difficulty, where will the ungodly man make a showing?' / You Know

• TMS
    TMS

Homework assignment for "You Know":

Please explain the difference between a "righteous" man and a "good" man. Which one would you prefer as a neighbor? Which one do you think God prefers?

This assignment is not due today.

TMS

• Farkel
    Farkel

Thanks to all for you for your nice comments. You too, You Know! (Whatever in-the-hell you meant by your Fred Franzian comments.)

Duncan:

: I'll tell you what, though - what'll make your postings easier to grasp:

: Did you ever think of maybe numbering the paragraphs and then, like, writing these little questions underneath, so that we can all get the point?

ROFLMAO!!! Hell, if I had to do that, then I'm not communicating very well (are you listening, Writing Department) and more importantly, I would think so much of my ideas that I would want to make sure people MEMORIZED them! Individualism about about being and letting be, speaking and letting others speak. Frankly, if people like something I say, fine. If they hate it, then trash it! It's no skin off my neck. I'm not interested in having my own pet cult! I'd just screw it up, anyway!

Farkel

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Farkel,

great post, in every part of it.
    What I call a good "psycological insight" is :

"It (the WTS) has predicted the implementation of this solution within a decade or so from its many different announcements of this soon-to-come solution. Many people who might otherwise be somewhat skeptical have been willing to risk ten years or less of their lives to realize such a grand promise offered by the Watchtower Society. Had they promised this grand reward to occur in say 30, 50 or a hundred years, their rate of success in achieving converts would have been greatly lessened."

In my humble opinion, a very, very true statement...in reality
    it deceived many..!

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

Farkel,

You are quite right on all points. And this is precisely why the Society will continue to operate, derspite some losses, even in the United States and other 'developed' countries. As a long-time close friend and elder explained to me (as we were discussing my criticisms of the Organization), "I know, but when I think too deeply about it [the Society's teachings and practices], it's hard to stay motivated." So his solution is ... simply don't think about it "too deeply". And that's what the vast majority of JWs will continue to do: just let the Organization tell them what to think and what to do. The blind leading the blind. As you put it, they are intellectually and spiritually too lazy to assume responsibility for themselves.

Thanks for the excellent post.

Rational (of the "Longs for the 'golden days' of H2O posts" class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit