Did you like hymns as a jw?

by jean-luc picard 35 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

After I left the truth, I went back to my old church for a while. I joined the men's

choir. Singing those sounds that I raised in, Baptist church. We rocked I must say,

but gave it up when I was singing a duet and passed out. That ended my singing

career in the church. But I love the songs.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I am a born in who loves music. Singing at the KH was always my favorite part of worship. However.....I found even the old songs dull and uninspiring.

When i was 20 the Doobie Bros came out with the hit "Jesus is Just Alright" Wow, I LOVED it! I can't sit still when i hear it. I wondered why JW songs couldn't be as upbeat and include tambourines. Why does every song sound like a funeral dirge? Why couldn't there be choirs?

Since I'm no longer religious I prefer secular upbeat music.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The salvation Army band played

And the children drank lemonade

And the morning lasted all day....all day

Dream Academy's Life in a Northern Town was more "spiritual" than a kingdom melody.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I like so many of the songs you've mentioned.

I really should learn la marseillaise..

James: I was a Baptist too, until I was 7.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I did enjoy singing a couple of Hymns when I was growing up as a JW, even though they gave me a "funny feeling". To this day Mrs Phizzy enjoys watching a Sunday T V prog we have here in the U.K, "Songs of Praise", a number of the more modern hymns are not half bad.

I never found the JW's songs were singable by me, I don't have a great range, ( crap baritone), and they always seemed in the wrong key to me.

The very best of the JW songs were dire, and it went downhill from there.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Beth sarim:of course your right. music is very stiring and often used to promote a reaction in people

Phizzy:so songs of praise is still going strong? a bit like coronation street!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I was always told by JW's the songs in the churches were to stir up emotions.

Ok what about scaring the crap out of people, tomorrow the end will come.

• cofty
    cofty

I like Gregorian chant and choral music. I hate gospel and evangelical songs.

One time I was giving a sister a lift to visit her husband in hospital and I had a mixed tape of classical music on in the car. One track was Gregorian chant and I commented that it was a beautiful sound. Despite the fact that I was driving her 120 miles at my own expense and that I was an elder she reported me to her favourite elder when she got home. He later regretted trying to "counsel" me about it.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

jean-luc: A Baptist up to age 21, and then I went to my minister and told him to

remove my name from the roll, I'm now a JW and want no parts of Satan's organization.

OK , not the best witness.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard
    James: I dont feel a desire to go to church/chapel nowadays. I must admit, though, that I have some fond memories of when we used to go to chapel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit