JW Obession with the trinity

by Riley 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What does the Gospel of John teach? The answer of prominent Bible scholar Adela Yarbro Collins is as follows:

”In the Gospel it is clear that Jesus, as word or logos philosophically understood, is preexistent and divine in the sense of being an emanation of God or being ‘a god’ … God’s first creature, namely, the only-begotten god.” (Pages 202/3)

In response to a colleague who described Jesus as “a fully divine being” in the Gospel of John, Collins responded: :”it is not clear what Casey means by ‘a fully divine being’ here. If he means something like the second person of the trinity, it is doubtful that John 1 supports this interpretation.” (Page176) King and Messiah as Son of God: Divine , Human and Angelic Figures in Biblical and Related Literature (2008)

It’s also interesting to note that the Jewish writer Philo, writing a few decades earlier than the Gospel of John, described the Word/Logos as: “[God’s] first-born word, the eldest of his angels, as the great archangel of many names”. On the Confusion of Tongues 146

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/text/philo/book15.html

• Riley
    Riley

So

Basically old testament writers when dealing with " God " were just actually dealing with " a god ".

That is stupid.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Jhine:

I agree with you. There is a difference in what Jesus was teaching and where we have ended up now. If my paint brush was too wide I do apologize.

The teaching of Jesus are compassionate and wise. I am not a follower of Martin Luther's Five Solas. Jhine, if memory serves, you are part of the Anglican Church. I see the appeal as I do to Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I just find it amusing that it starts with a fixed point in time at Jesus and as Christendom start introducing new concepts based on Greek philosophy etc and are changing the narrative around the words of Jesus to something else entirely, that the WT point their finger and describe it as the great apostasy caused by "oppressive wolves infiltrating the congregation.

But when the WT organisation moves from a fixed point (C.T. Russell) forward introducing strange new ideas via Franz and Rutherford, the WT describe it as "new light from God".

Personally I see a parallel and am always surprised that WT members cannot even when they are brave enough to explore their own history!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It got me thinking, how depressing it is to spend your entire life trying to disprove this. It literally comes up at every meeting”

No it doesn’t… Back in the day, maybe because it was a burning issue that they had to deal with on the doorstep. In the 21st century nobody raises that objection so they do not mention it … I can’t remember the last time.

• jhine
    jhine

Truth , sorry if l misunderstood your post . You are very welcome in the Anglican church. Jesus's teachings about practical Christianity are very much to the fore.

Disclaimer . Other denominations are also readily available.

Jan

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

So what? So what if people are wrong about exactly who Jesus and God and the holy spirit are? In the end, aren't we supposed to be judged by our actions? JWs and many religions seem to believe it's the other way around and when you think about it, it doesn't make sense.

I had this epiphany years ago reflecting upon my grandmother’s life. Always faithful to her husband and kids, dedicated her life to raise 10 kids, keeping the house in order, feeding them, dressing them, ALWAYS there for them. Even in her late years, she'd call everyone and make sure everyone remained in contact with each other. Everyone loved her. She wasn't perfect, but she was loved and still is. A hug from my grandma made me feel that no matter what happened in this world, she loved me.

BUT! She believed in the trinity! How horrible! According to JWs logic, had Armageddon happened during her lifetime, God would have sent an angel, or perhaps a resurrected governing body member, to kill her.

Fear mongering none-sense.

• LV101
    LV101
    StephaneLaliberte - ❤️ Beloved Grandmothers -- like super women.

I learn so much here about trinity/non trinity and end up so confused but just can't wrap my skull around trinity -- probably haven't the right knowledge yet.

Interesting points re/Jewish faith. Know quite a few strict/rigid in their faith but their behavior questionable - they're only humans and normal to act as such. They clearly seem negative toward JWs but, again, that's normal.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    BUT! She believed in the trinity! How horrible! According to JWs logic, had Armageddon happened during her lifetime, God would have sent an angel, or perhaps a resurrected governing body member, to kill her.
    Fear mongering none-sense.

Action > Belief. Well said, Stephane LaLiberte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit