Did anyone really enjoy assemblies?

by SydBarrett 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

It was an "adventure" when you were a kid, one of the longest trips you might have been on.

Sitting on blankets on terraces, often under plastic sheeting as the rain fell, with the echoey voice from a tinny speaker droning on ... nothing better for a good sleep honestly.

Plus that special "I can't believe it's not chocolate" mint hellas bars to buy!

The teen+ years are then about talent spotting (I can't complain, I picked up a wife a Maine Road assembly)

Past that though and they are boring as hell. I can't imagine why adults, especially elderly ones, go to them.

I distinctly remember the last assembly we went to in Manchester. It was hot as hell and my wife was heavily pregnant at the time. We went for a walk around the concourse to get some air, and found an empty chair she could have a rest on. Immediately, some spotty faced brown-shirt-wannabe attendant trotted up to tell us that the chair was for attendants ONLY. He seemed quite shocked when I told him, very loudly, to Fuck Off!! (pretty sure that echoed round the walk-way, LOL)

We went home, we never went to another as far as I can remember.

• HOTB
    HOTB

I liked Assemblies and Conventions. I would take notes and feel guilty if I got too tired or the speakers too boring. I enjoyed the interviews and new releases…and the dramas. Volunteering in food prep was interesting – all potatoes to be wrapped in specially sized bit of tin foil. But the best bit, of course, was socializing and catching up with folks I’d not seen for a year – that was a real high. The sad part though - is that all the highs we got from the lovey socializing was, in retrospect, as valuable and real as melting snow. C’est la vie.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

''He seemed quite shocked when I told him, very loudly, to Fuck Off!! (pretty sure that echoed round the walk-way, LOL)''

Classic.

• careful
    careful

After reading the posts so far, I have to agree. There was much to enjoy. Sadly, the talks were least memorable. I always forgot them unless there was some special reason to remember one (like Freddie Franz's meanderings). Working at food prep was highly memorable. In fact, working at any job instead of listening to the talks was memorable. It was all the more reason to volunteer. And yes, the new releases were fun as were the dramas—pre-video! For some reason I enjoyed the baptisms too. Then, as already mentioned, the socializing and catching up on various peoples lives, going out to dinner after the sessions with old friends rarely seen, meeting new bros. & sisters, all that was fun. Singing in such large groups the old Kingdom songs was moving and memorable too. The rest was pretty much forgotten.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    And yes, the new releases were fun as were the dramas—pre-video! For some reason I enjoyed the baptisms too.

As I mentioned before, I detested the dramas. But yes, I actually enjoyed watching the baptisms back in the day, too.

Counting the new ones queuing up in front of the pool - sometimes even multiple pools! And they really did queue up in a line and wait their turn patiently too. I remember doing the same myself! How different things are now, with barely anyone baptised at assemblies and conventions these days.

Sadly, the talks were least memorable.

Interestingly, you're right. Considering all the focus was supposed to be on the "spiritual food", that was one of the least lasting elements. Most of the comments so far have focused more on the camaraderie of working together, meeting other bros and sisters, group singing and other more social aspects.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Maybe in the early days I might have enjoyed one or two assemblies. But, after that I can’t say that I did.. In reality the assemblies were exhausting and since I worked full-time I was especially tired.

I also felt they were a physical endurance test - to be sitting in stadium seats for three days and that’s assuming it’s an indoor or covered venue. Otherwise, it could be quite miserable and I remember a few that were. Boy am I glad this is all in the past!

From what I’ve read about this year’s assembly it sounds like it was meant to make disappointed JWs feel better about ‘Armageddon’ not having come yet.. I mean how do you make people who sacrificed for years (needlessly) and who reached an old age you told them they’d ‘never see in this system’ feel better?? I don’t think you can.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    who reached an old age you told them they’d ‘never see in this system’ feel better?? I don’t think you can.

Let’s say the timing is wrong. Is everything the Bible says about the resurrection and eternal life lies?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SYD BARRETT:

I didn’t mean to hijack your thread and will get it on track but I will answer FISHERMAN:

You have raised a straw man argument as I am not talking about ‘the resurrection and eternal life’.

I am talking about people who were told to ‘avoid careers and do full time ministry and not worry about retirement as they were told they’d never see old age in this system of things’. I know this personally as I had it said to me - but thankfully never listened.. Meanwhile those who said it are long dead after living a cushy life!

Many older JWs could have made other preparations and still stayed in the Witness religion only they’d be in better shape now while waiting for their ‘paradise’.

Getting back to the OP, I agree with most everybody about how they feel about assemblies.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    EDIT: LongHairGal has already answered Fisherman with the substance of what I just posted, so I'm removing my late contribution.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

mixed bag....I did a lot of work in the food when they did that...I played in several dramas-that was fun. I was younger then. So I would say for the last 20 years, they were a burden...very tiring!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit