JWs destroy archaelogical artifacts

by John Doe 38 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

Really? I am surprised as it's virtually unheard of for Witnesses to take any kind of direct action like this.

Are there any corroborating sources or anything that adds further information that confirms it's proper JWs?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Says the site is over 7000 years old, maybe the fact that its age disproves the whole bible got to them. Idiots

• under the radar
    under the radar

I'm certainly no apologist for the JW's, but I suspect this is either a hoax or a few dim-witted JW's going far beyond anything the Society would endorse. The GODs (Guardians of Doctrine) in New York are arrogant self-serving presumptuous leaders of an insidious mind-control cult, but they are not stupid. Oh, they would destroy all vestiges of "false religion" if they thought they could get away with it, but they know they can't and they sure don't want the bad publicity and the inevitable analogies to Daesh (ISIS) that would ensue.

The "new and improved" Truthâ„¢ they are spewing now mainly appeals to be poorly educated, impoverished, and hopeless peoples of mostly third-world countries. Who wouldn't grasp at a fresh steaming pile of pie-in-the-sky that promises everything? A drowning man will clutch at any straw of hope that passes by. It would be easy to get carried away.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

nytimes.com/aponline/2016/06/28/world/americas/ap-lt-mexico-shrine-damaged.html?_r=0

One here from the NYTimes. Spokesman for JWs in Mexico denies it.

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

Where is the proof that this is not a spoof ?

How reliable is this story ? Do you really think [yes we have had some spectacular things from the GB] that any JW would do or condone this in any way?

Friends told me Elvis is studying the Bible with JW's in the Memphis congo.

UPDATE: Elvis just phoned me and told me he is studying ! You heard it first from me!

• John Doe
    John Doe

I absolutely think JWs would do this. Regardless if the leadership claims credit or condemns it, it's exactly the kind of myopic self aggrandizing circle jerk that disrespects others' culture and beliefs that the superstitious rank and file would partake in.

As far as leadership claiming credit, of course they're not going to, as that would open them up to financial responsibility. What they do is promote a culture that devalues, demonizes, and lies about history and world culture, and encourages this sort of bigotry. You can bet your arse that the rank and file are going to take actions consistent with those qualities.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JWs destroy archaeological artifacts

Maybe it`s a hoax?..Maybe they`re New JWs?..

Maybe they`re JWs running ahead of the WBT$?..

Maybe..Uhh..Uhh..

Help Me Out Stephen.............................I Did It Tony!....It Wuz Fun!....LOL!!..

Image result for Watchtower anthony morris....Image result for Watchtower Stephen Lett

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The NY times article has a couple of interesting comments within. Firstly, it's suggested that the vandals are recent converts to the religion. If that is the case then they would be acting out of line with typical JW behaviour.

Secondly, the WT representative does not completely deny it. He says "as far as we have been able to investigate". That suggests the facts are not clear to them which could be for a number of reasons. Perhaps it's an isolated group, perhaps they are some offshoot, perhaps they are trying to distance themselves from an act they know to have an association, even loosely, with the Witnesses.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    JohnDoe: I absolutely think JWs would do this. Regardless if the leadership claims credit or condemns it, it's exactly the kind of myopic self aggrandizing circle jerk that disrespects others' culture and beliefs that the superstitious rank and file would partake in.

Me too.

The story is plausible to me.

How many of us destroyed artifacts and such that we thought were 'demon-possessed'? On the instruction of the WTS and the JWs themselves? I did. I am sure many of you did. Superstition runs deep and this story comes out of a culture of superstition - they have just replaced their old superstitions with a new one - the WTS doctrine of demons and the devil

It is so sad that if this happened, and I think it did, because these people would have been destroying their own heritage. What a horrible organization this WTS is - teaching doctrine that fosters fanatical behavior

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit