Michael Palin: North Korea - Similarities In N.Korean and JW Mentality

by pale.emperor 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Did anyone catch Michael Palin's travel documentary in North Korea? It was a fascinating insight into such a secretive and controlled country. Totalitarian, suppressed and yet I found a few similarities to JW mentality.

Particularly, this segment, where Michael asks his handler about the limitations on freedom she has. She lacks the freedom to question or criticize her leaders, yet she's been led to believe that this is a good thing because (from 1:59 in the below video) "They are not individual, they represent the masses. So we cannot criticize ourselves, can we?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUt-dlwAUwE&feature=youtu.be

Eerily similar to JWs view of the governing body, I think.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    pale.emperor - "Eerily similar to JWs view of the governing body, I think."

Ditto.

I've lost count of how many times I've heard a JW loyalist talk as though they and the GB are - effectively - the same...

...i.e., the GB doesn't like something, therefore the rank-and-file doesn't like something.

Honestly, I think some of them aren't even aware they're doing it.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings
    Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me you can't see a thing
    Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master!
    Master!

• cofty
    cofty

Very apt comparison.

I have read some history of Cold War era Eastern Europe. The WT definitely fits the pattern of totalitarian regimes.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In high controlling cults /dictatorships, its vitally important to suppress and control information that could weaken the authoritative position of the top leaders who have control over the subjective controlled subjects.

The leaders do this by selective propaganda to make an awareness of how good the controlled group are in comparison to people who are not of the identified group.

Religious cults like the JWS do the same thing.

ie ..... " We are the happiest people on earth "

" Salvation can only be obtained within are organization and the guidance and direction are leaders provide"

" We are in Jehovah god's chosen organization here on earth "

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

N.K uses Mind Control, as do all Cults, as do the J.W org , it is the most effective form of control to use on large numbers of people.

As Cofty rightly says, the J.W org and similar cults, are very close to the totalitarian regimes that we have been appalled by over the years. Using Mind Control to enforce strict Authoritarianism.

"Totalitarian" and " Authoritarian" are almost synonyms, but the merely Authoritarian State is more open to reform. The totalitarian State (or cult/religion) tries, and often succeeds, Vampire like, to change the mind and very soul of the person. Therefore the J.W org is totalitarian.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Well you certainly can`t criticise WT LEADERS can you .Oh that`s right they don`t have leaders do they ,everbody`s on the same level in the WT religion .

A P.O. may have a part on the platform and when he`s finished he will sit down among the rest of the congregation and he doesn`t wear any clothing that distinguishes him from anybody else .

Their leader was Jesus Christ ? say what ?

That`s how I was introduced to the "clergy" in 1960.

Oh that`s right they have a clergy class do they ? Until their in a court of Law that is, and then they cry Clergy Penitent privlidge to not divulge some vital information.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Michael Palin is looking old. I think by his complexion he may be a cigarette smoker.

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

Its all fear. The JW cult uses it and the NK leadership uses it by fear of death or harsh penalty. I don't believe she would not criticize the glorious leader because it would be criticizing her self. We all or most of us criticize our self's. They know in NK if they do and are caught it would most likely mean death.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Phizzy - "...'Totalitarian' and 'Authoritarian' are almost synonyms, but the merely Authoritarian State is more open to reform. The Totalitarian State (or cult/religion) tries, and often succeeds, vampire like, to change the mind and very soul of the person..."

Yup, pretty much.

I would argue that the former isn't quite as open to change as you suggest, but other than that, yeah...

...an authoritarian state doesn't really give a shit what you think, as long as you do what you're told.

A totalitarian state wants you to completely subservient to it, and to remake you in its image, which is way fucking scarier.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit