Is a University or College education still frowned upon today?

by Richie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Richie
    Richie

After about 8 months of "silence", I took the initiative to visit my daughter, who is an active JW - I wanted to see her, as I bought some good nutritional supplements which I wanted to give to her for her children. She was kind but somewhat distant - we embraced each other and then talked a little bit about non-essential things. She showed me my granddaughter, who is about 10 months old - very cute and so pretty. I saw that my daughter was not comfortable, as I was bringing up different subjects (not letting her know of course that my wife and I are now actively involved with a church (very loving body of Christians I must say), but along the way I brought up the importance of college education....She completely stunned me by saying that the Society never had anything against going to college at all; she said that they even encouraged "education", but never did the Watchtower condemn someone from going to university or college. She even said that I did not want her to go to college (that was about 14 years ago) and I told her that the Society suggested that it was NOT a good thing to have higher education - Can you believe that? I argued high and low with her, telling her that JW-policy was very clear on that matter at that particular time. She just denied it and said that it was not true at all. It reminds me of 1975 where the Society was quite clear that it was a special year about the end - then they turned around and indirectly blamed the brothers for being "weak and not relying on Jehovah". Are they now saying that they never said that higher eduaction is not recommended? Of course, if that's the case, then it's the same scenario: "you apostates say something that the Society never printed" and they have the gall to believe the Watchtower. It makes me sick to my stomach to observe how my daughter is so manipulated by this group of manipulators, who in the name of the "truth" are guided by another spirit full of deception...

Could you please help me with some articles where the Society was clear in condemning higher education as a norm? I would appreciate this, so I can cut and paste the articles and give them to her to read later...

Thanks so much!

• blondie
    blondie

From the Quotes Website

*** Watchtower September 1 1975 p.543 Questions from Readers ***

Questions from Readers

• How many years of secular education are advisable for children in Christian households?

Today, there are many teenage baptized servants of Jehovah… how far should they go with a secular education? It would hardly be consistent for such a youth, of his own choice, to pursue extensive secular studies beyond what is required by the law and by his parents… additional years of college education may present snares.

*** Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15 ***

[Note: not available on 1993/1995/1999 CD-ROM]

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling… True, those who do not understand where we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? or working toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order?

[Emphasis Added]

*** Watchtower 1969 March 15 p.171 What Influences Decisions in Your Life? ***

12 The influence and spirit of this world is to get ahead, to make a name for oneself. Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them "brainwash" you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. This world has very little time left! Any "future" this world offers is no future! Wisely, then, let God's Word influence you in selecting a course that will result in your protection and blessing. Make pioneer service, the full-time ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future!

[Emphasis Added]

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/education.htm

• RunningMan
    RunningMan
    “Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them ‘brainwash’ you with the Devil's propaganda...” - WT 3/15/61 p171

“It would hardly be consistent for such a youth, of his own choice, to pursue extensive secular studies beyond what is required by the law and by his parents.” WT 9/1/75 p 543

Here are a couple. I'm sure more will be posted soon.

When I was a teenager (in the 70's), university was forbidden. If I had gone to university, my father would have had to step down as an elder. Instead, I went to technical school, which was frowned upon, but not forbidden.

At the service meeting a couple of years ago, we had a demonstration that was very anti-education. If you check the kingdom ministry for that period, you will probably find the article.

Today, higher education is more accepted, but it is looked down on, and it is not very common.

• Richie
    Richie

Thank you so much Blondie for the reply - I would prefer if you could show me articles around the late eighties, early nineties. What exactly were their comments on education at that time?

Appreciate it immensely!

Thanks,

Richie

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    Is a University or College education still frowned upon today?

Not by the WT Legal Department, that's for sure. I've never heard of a lawyer without a degree.

• xandra360
    xandra360

I think Crisis of Conscience mentions this issue, it was changed in the mid-90s. I remember it because I got burned by this after leaving school to do a variety McJobs in order to pioneer ... Once the light got brighter a lot of elders in my cong who had previously been dead set against University suddenly started saying that the Society had never been against higher education - now where have I heard that before?

xandra360

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Here is an article on the subject: http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030801/JWANDCHILDREN3/10630003

It appears that the policy was officially changed in 1992. Today, like many of their teachings, they do not officially forbid or discourage education, but verbally, it is still pretty much out.

• Badger
    Badger

It really depends on the climate of the congregation. If you have one with a more liberal spirit (lucky you), Such a statement would be taken as blithely as it should be. Others still dwell in the dark ages.

Case in point: my home cong was the latter. I broke the tradition of going to college, telling everyone that I wasn't cut out to pioneer and clean floors. My parents didn't like it (but came around), the older ones were apoplectic, and I got the typical "Isn't that gong to test your faith?" (My responses were either, "You've tested my faith plenty," or "No, my faith isn't as fragile as yours."

At my current congregation, an elder gave me advice as to where to find a good graduate school program in the area. His nephew (an MS) went there.

Luck of the draw, sometimes.

• blondie
    blondie

Here is an article (part) from that time period. There was a ground-breaking article in 1992 that seemed to allow university education.

*** g89 5/8 13 What Career Should I Choose? ***

University Education—Advantageous?

Most pioneer ministers support themselves with part-time work. But what if later on you need to support a family? Surely one would never regret devoting one’s youthful years to God’s service! Still, some ask, Would it not make sense for a youth first to obtain a university degree and perhaps pursue the ministry later?

The Bible, of course, does not spell out exactly how many years of schooling a Christian youth should obtain. Nor does it condemn education. Jehovah, the "Grand Instructor," encourages his people to read well and to express themselves clearly. (Isaiah 30:20; Psalm 1:2; Hebrews 5:12) Moreover, education can broaden our understanding of people and the world we live in.

Nevertheless, is a university degree always worth the huge commitment of time and money it demands? While statistics indicate that university graduates earn higher salaries and suffer less unemployment than high school graduates, the book Planning Your College Education reminds us that these statistics are mere averages. Only a minority of university graduates actually receive sky-high salaries; the rest are paid wages that are far more down to earth. Besides, the high incomes attributed to university graduates may also result from such factors as "unusual abilities, motivation, area opportunities for employment, . . . special talents"—not simply the amount of their education.

"A [university] degree no longer guarantees success in the job market," says the U.S. Department of Labor. "The proportion [of university graduates] employed in professional, technical, and managerial occupations . . . declined because these occupations did not expand rapidly enough to absorb the growing supply of graduates. As a result, roughly 1 out of 5 [university] graduates who entered the labor market between 1970 and 1984 took a job not usually requiring a degree. This oversupply of graduates is likely to continue through the mid-1990’s."

Further Facts to Ponder

A university degree may or may not improve your employment prospects. But one fact is indisputable: "The time left is reduced"! (1 Corinthians 7:29) For all its presumed benefits, would four years or more in a university be the best use of that remaining time?—Ephesians 5:16.

Would a university education steer you toward or away from your spiritual goals? Remember, a high income is not a Christian priority. (1 Timothy 6:7, 8) Yet, a survey of U.S. university administrators described today’s students as ‘career-oriented, concerned with material success, concerned with self.’ One group of students said: "It seems like all we talk about is money." How might being immersed in an atmosphere of intense competition and selfish materialism affect you?

Universities may no longer have the riotous scenes of the 1960’s. But a decrease in university bedlam hardly means the campus environment is wholesome. Concluded one study of campus life: "Students still have almost unlimited freedom in personal and social matters." Drugs and alcohol are used freely, and promiscuity is the rule—not the exception. If this is true of universities in your land, might living there thwart your efforts to remain morally clean?—1 Corinthians 6:18.

Another concern is the well-documented association of exposure to higher education with decreased "adherence to core religious tenets." (The Sacred in a Secular Age) The pressure to maintain high grades has caused some Christian youths to neglect spiritual activities and thus become vulnerable to the onslaught of secular thinking promoted by universities. Some have suffered shipwreck concerning their faith.—Colossians 2:8.

Alternatives to University Education

In view of these facts, many Christian youths have decided against a university education. Many have found that the training offered in congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses—the weekly Theocratic Ministry School in particular—has given them a real edge in finding employment. Though not possessing a university degree, such youths learn to be poised, adept at expressing themselves, and quite capable of handling responsibility. Furthermore, while in secondary school, some take courses in typing, computer programming, auto repair, machine-shop work, and so forth. Such skills may lend themselves to part-time employment and are often in high demand. And though many youths disdain ‘working with their hands,’ the Bible dignifies doing "hard work." (Ephesians 4:28) Why, Jesus Christ himself learned a trade so well that he came to be called "the carpenter"!—Mark 6:3.

True, in some lands university graduates have so flooded the job market that it is hard to obtain even commonplace jobs without additional training. But often there are apprenticeship programs, vocational or technical schools, and short-term university courses that teach marketable skills with a minimum investment of time and money. Also, there is a factor that employment statistics do not take into account: God’s promise to provide for those who give priority to spiritual interests.—Matthew 6:33.

Employment prospects and educational systems vary from place to place. Youths have different abilities and inclinations. And while a career in the Christian ministry is recommended as being beneficial, it is still a matter of personal choice. You and your parents must thus carefully weigh all factors involved in deciding how much education is right for you. ‘Each one must carry his own load’ in making such decisions.—Galatians 6:5.

If, for example, your parents insist that you attend a university, you have no choice but to obey them as long as you are living under their supervision. (Ephesians 6:1-3) Perhaps you can continue living at home and avoid getting caught up in the university scene. Be selective in your choice of courses, for example, focusing on learning job skills rather than worldly philosophies. Guard your associations. (1 Corinthians 15:33) Keep yourself spiritually strong by meeting attendance, field service, and personal study. Some youths who have been obliged to attend university have even managed to pioneer by choosing a schedule of courses that made that possible.

Choose your career carefully and prayerfully, so that it not only will bring personal happiness but will enable you to ‘store up treasures in heaven.’—Matthew 6:20.

1992 Education Philosophy

*** w92 11/1 17-18 Education With a Purpose ***

9 How much education does a young Christian need in order to respect these Bible principles and meet his Christian obligations? This varies from country to country. By and large, however, it seems that the general trend in many lands is that the level of schooling required to earn decent wages is now higher than it was a few years ago. Reports received from branches of the Watch Tower Society in different parts of the world indicate that in many places it is difficult to find jobs with decent wages after completing simply the minimum schooling required by law or in some countries even after finishing secondary or high school.

11 What is often the situation today? It has been reported that in some countries many well-intentioned youngsters have left school after completing the minimum required schooling in order to become pioneers. They had no trade or secular qualifications. If they were not helped by their parents, they had to find part-time work. Some have had to accept jobs that required them to work very long hours to make ends meet. Becoming physically exhausted, they gave up the pioneer ministry

What can such ones do to support themselves and get back into the pioneer service?

Counting the Cost

Who decides whether a young Christian should undertake further education or training? The Bible principle of headship comes into play here. (1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 6:1) On this basis parents will surely want to guide their children in the choice of a trade or occupation and consequently in the amount of education that will be needed. In many countries educational and occupational choices have to be made early on during secondary education. That is the time when Christian parents and youths need to seek Jehovah’s direction in making a wise choice, with Kingdom interests uppermost in mind. Young people have different propensities and aptitudes. Wise parents will take these into account. All honest work is honorable, be it blue-collar or white-collar. While the world may elevate office work and disparage working hard with one’s hands, the Bible certainly does not. (Acts 18:3) So when parents and young Christians today, after carefully and prayerfully weighing the pros and cons, decide for or against postsecondary studies, others in the congregation should not criticize them.

If Christian parents responsibly decide to provide their children with further education after high school, that is their prerogative. The period of these studies would vary according to the type of trade or occupation selected. For financial reasons and in order to enable their children to get into the full-time service as quickly as possible, many Christian parents have chosen for them short-term study programs in vocational or technical schools. In some cases youths have needed to be apprenticed to some trade but always with a full life of service to Jehovah as the goal.

If additional courses are taken, certainly the motive should not be to shine scholastically or to carve out a prestigious worldly career. Courses should be chosen with care. This magazine has placed emphasis on the dangers of higher learning, and justifiably so, for much higher education opposes the "healthful teaching" of the Bible. (Titus 2:1; 1 Timothy 6:20, 21) Further, since the 1960’s,

many schools of advanced learning have become hotbeds of lawlessness and immorality. "The faithful and discreet slave" has strongly discouraged entering that kind of environment. (Matthew 24:12, 45) It must be admitted, however, that nowadays youngsters meet up with these same dangers in high schools and technical colleges and even in the workplace.—1 John 5:19.

Should supplementary education be decided upon, a young Witness would do well, if at all possible, to take this while living at home, thus being able to maintain normal Christian study habits, meeting attendance, and preaching activity. At the outset a proper stand should also be taken on Bible principles. It should be remembered that Daniel and his three Hebrew companions were captives in exile when they were obliged to undertake advanced studies in Babylon, but they consistently kept their integrity. (Daniel, chapter 1) While placing spiritual interests first, young Witnesses in a number of countries have taken courses to equip themselves for part-time work as accountants, tradesmen, teachers, translators, interpreters, or other occupations that supported them adequately in their primary career of pioneering. (Matthew 6:33) A number of these youths have later become traveling overseers or Bethel volunteers.

But by 1999 they were drifting back to this

*** km 4/99 8 "What Should I Do?" ***What have you cultivated as your prime concern during your youth? Are you mainly interested in seeking financial advantage, or do you really want to use your life to advance Kingdom interests? A university degree does not guarantee success in the job market. As an alternative, many have acquired marketable job skills by means of apprenticeship programs, some vocational or technical school education, or short-term college courses that require a minimum of time and involvement.

• Badger
    Badger

A Caeveat:

I'm not repeating Bethel's line on the matter...that's here for public consumption. I was just trying to tell y'all how it's being approached at the congregational level...where the rubber meets the road.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit