Why didn't they just tell people Rutherford needed to move to San Diego?

by SydBarrett 7 Replies latest jw friends

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

From Wikipedia: "Rutherford had reportedly lost the use of one lung from pneumonia suffered during his imprisonment in 1918 and 1919. Finding New York's winter weather "impossible", Rutherford was encouraged by a doctor to "spend as much time as possible" in a more favorable climate."

Why not just tell the people exactly what it says above? Why all the mumbo jumbo about purchasing it for ancient worthies to be resurrected? Moving to a warm, dry, pollution free climate would not have sounded like outrageous medical advice for the time. And San Diego would have been exactly that climate. Just say "due to his poor health and on a doctors advice, Brother Rutherford will be performing his duties from San Diego". Would it really have raised eyebrows to just be honest with everyone?

He still could have drank his whiskey and ridden in his Cadillacs and no one would have been the wiser.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

It may be that Rutherford was the type not to let an opportunity go to waste. Instead of pitching the idea that he needed a place to rest and recuperate, he could have an opulent home built for those great men of the past (who, serendipitously, were soon to be resurrected and would need lodging). And if he happened to use it in the meantime, he could use the cover story to deflect any possible criticism.

Also, King David wasn't going to be driven around in any old car, was he?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

What I find hard to believe ( even though I shouldn't beings I have been a gullible fool ) is that people actually thought that house was to be occupied by the great worthies. They bought that pack of lies!

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"And if he happened to use it in the meantime, he could use the cover story to deflect any possible criticism."

But that's what I mean. I wasn't aware of the lung condition until I just read it. They could have just said "the property will be owned by the society but Rutherford will reside there due to his health condition." and I believe that explanation would have sufficed.

It just reminded me of a certain type of person who misses some time at work or maybe needs to borrow some money. But instead of giving you the perfectly understandable reason behind it, they make up some outrageously unbelievable story that wasn't even necessary.

• Jehovahisgod
    Jehovahisgod

I have no idea why they make such a big deal out of that building they bought it as a retreat for people that needed a place to stay while they recovered.

And people have invented all kinds of weird stories like it's some kind of a sacred shrine. It's just a building. What's so interesting about a person that has damaged lung that has to go stay in a recovery building?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Yea, that was really dumb to claim the house was for Abraham and other ancient worthies.

Jehovah’s Witnesses will lie when the truth sounds better.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

It was deeded, if I remember correctly, in a trust in the name of Abraham, Moses, and the ancient worthies. A total fabrication, of course, no doubt to evade taxation on the property that was essentially his private residence. They made a point at the time that it funded by 'private donation' rather than using WT funds.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Rutherford couldn't let an opportunity go to waste.

He jumped at the chance and took full advantage of it,,hoodwinking the followers. Ultimately deceiving them

No way could he disclose why he moved to San Diego,,,of all places. Umm, you know,,,a temperate beautiful climate and such....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit