Charities

by noidea 19 Replies latest jw friends

• noidea
    noidea

Tink..Yes that counts. Anytime you give even if it's your time to help benefit someone else it counts. Six..What can I say..I had such high hopes until I enlarged those pics *SWAT sigh.... but I gotta love ya anyway.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

whyyoulittle six!! terrible

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

The money I used to donate to the WTS every year, now goes straight to the United Way, with the confidence it is doing a lot more good there.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Noidea,

I am also a Govt Employee working for the US Army...*ok I'm still in training but anyways...

My Drill Sgt got up and gave a stirring speech about the CFC and how it is helping his son who has sickle cell anemia.

I'm giving a whopping 2 dollars a month *whoo hoo

I guess I could just give my tithe and offerings to the CFC....what do you think?

Lizard

• Xandria
    Xandria

How many here have ever been "shamed" into giving. I know many people who have been made to feel guilty. The corporations here let United Way come in and run a program where everyone is called into a meeting. They give you papers with your names on them and if you don't write an amount on the paper to be taken out of your check. You must write declined and it goes into your file.

One of my friends, had a "shake down", as I call them because they might as well hold you by your ankles and shake you until your money falls out. They taped fake money under your chair and asked that you go up to the board and pin the amount you wish to donate to the cause on the board. It is a type of peer intimidation. If you wish to give to a organization that should be your decision.

It is your right to:

• Choose the organization to give to.
    • Privacy to the amounts you donate.
    • Not to be shamed into giving.

Many people work hard for their money and should have the right to privately decline. 20 to 50 dollars can make a difference to many people. Especially single moms working. The other ordeal is they want you to take that out of a monthly pay check?!

X.

Has this ever happened to any one else?

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Tink--do you use Women for Women United to facilitate your sponsorship? I did some research on that organization after reading an article a few weeks ago and am thinking of becoming a sponsor.

• noidea
    noidea

Lizard, I think you should give where you think it's doing the most help. There is nothing wrong with what you are giving. There is no set price that puts you in a category as being charitable it doesn't even have to monetary. With what you are doing you give of yourself everyday...nothing is more charitable then that. Xandria, I know what you mean. My x-husband was hired by a company that did that during their orientation they also used UnitedWay. They were told..you have been given this job with great pay and benefits..now you have to give back. I know that being a CFC Coordinator we were told to just see who wanted to give, we were told to make sure that if they did and it seemed to be a bit excessive to talk to the person and make sure that it wasn't going to make a hardship on them. No strong arm tactics. I guess the difference was we were receiving donations for as many as 1700 charities..when you had yours done it was just with one and that's why they were greedy about it.

• Valis
    Valis

Man she is hot...ahem..

My mom was the person in charge of her hospital's United Way fund one year and her dept raised more than others so she got to throw out the ball at a Ranger's game...well I'm thinking Jehover was none too pleased because it rained like hell that night and they didn't even get to play the game till almost midnight....*LOL* It didn't bother her or seem to ba an issue...I just wished she were so loose w/the conscience in regards the rest of her life...sheesh..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• noidea
    noidea
    Jehover was none too pleased because it rained like hell that night and they didn't even get to play the game till almost midnight....*

LMAO

• breal
    breal

We have the same set up at our office. There is a huge list of charities that one can donate to. There is a way for employees to add various charitable organizations if one they prefer to donate to is not on the list. The list does include the Kingdom Halls of JW's. That way if the JW employees donate the company matches there donation and the organization gets double the money.

Edited to add... yep I donate. Either to Cancer, Parkinsons Disease or to the SPCA from work. Also to various childrens hospitals where I donate my time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit