The Loaded Language of the WT - Conscience Matter

by jgnat 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jourles
    Jourles

The JW position on voting in school is also a farce. How often is voting for a class president going to lead to something horribly wrong? The Nov. 1999 WT says this:

*** w99 11/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

A third factor to consider is that those who have a part in voting a person into office may become responsible for what he does. (Compare 1 Timothy 5:22, The New English Bible.) Christians have to consider carefully whether they want to shoulder that responsibility.

School and Jehovah's Witnesses says this about voting in school:

*** sj p. 16 Flag Salute, Anthems and Voting ***

In many schools, students are voted into an office or a position, such as class president. Some schools have small-scale political campaigns, including campaign buttons and posters advertising candidates. The purpose is to familiarize young people with the machinery of politics. However, Witness youths do not mix in school politics, either by accepting an elective office or by voting others into office. So if either nominated for or elected to an office, they tactfully decline. In this way they follow the example of Jesus who withdrew when the people wanted to make him king.—John 6:15.

Well WT, which is it? Youths CANNOT vote in school, which is only a popularity contest anyways, but adults can? Stupid stupid stupid.
  • refiners fire
    refiners fire

..."Regarding the voting issue, our CO said that it was a matter of conscience in those countries where voting is mandatory"...

Its just one more sign that the WT is whoring itself to the 'beast system of things' so as to become more mainstream.

Of course, its a known truth that the dubs will be persecuted in the last days by the beast system, but if they compromise their principles how can they be persecuted and tortured.? Arent they working against Gods Will by sucking up to the system?

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS also said it was personal decision whether to take blood or not and that sanctions would not be made against a JW taking blood to the Bulgarian government. Is that correct?

They also changed it taking blood from a DF'ing offense to a DA'ing offense so that it seemed to be a personal choice by the individual rather than being coerced by the WTS.

Blondie

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

So there is some contradiction between what they say out of one side of their mouth to the membership, and what they say out the other side of their mouth to the worldly authorities on the subjects of blood and voting. But the end result can only be greater and greater compromise with the world on issues that generate controversy.

They want to be an accepted member of the whore Babylon system, simple as that.

• jgnat
    jgnat

*phew* for a while there, I was afraid this was going to be another one-post thread. Thank you for all your input.

What an awesome article, Scully! I must have been on a “fluff” day when you posted that. It would be wonderful if this matter could be thoroughly reviewed by a court some day.

So the question becomes, Are these "conscientious decisions" really the result of firmly held convictions? If they can so easily be cast aside, upon the reading of a sentence or two in a periodical, without any other thought process in the matter, it would appear that the concept of "firm convictions" and "deeply held beliefs" is over-ruled by convenience and the removal of any negative spiritual or social result for the person claiming the decision.

Room 215 - my naive JW husband was nailed by a similar “matter of conscience”. When he was called for jury duty, he went to his elders for guidance. They told him to look it up himself. I helped him scan the CD, and I found that the WTS will to provide no legal support or bail to anyone who refuses jury duty. But it is a “matter of conscience”. I had no idea what loaded language that is.

Ozziepost - enjoy this little trip down memory lane?

Santiago and Undercover - WTBTS logic at it’s best. The WT even dictates conscience.

Thanks for the examples, Odrade. I guessed this. Immediate social ostracism if a Witnesses’ conscience is not identical to the hive.

Jourles - is this because students are easier to bully? Wouldn’t want to set the munchkins up with false expectations of freedom...

Refiner’s Fire - I particularly like this “If they compromise their principles how can they be persecuted and tortured?” They are tortured by being forced to comply to the world’s standards, of course. I am sure parents sigh a heavy sigh as they send their children to college, and as they sign a lease a new SUV.

Blondie, I would seriously like to get that self-disassociating act challenged. But I bet the courts would steer clear of examining the internal workings of a religious judicial system. The courts would have to first be convinced that members are held in that organization against their will.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

*** w99 11/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

A third factor to consider is that those who have a part in voting a person into office may become responsible for what he does. (Compare 1 Timothy 5:22, The New English Bible.) Christians have to consider carefully whether they want to shoulder that responsibility.

So everyone who appoints or agrees with the appointment of a jw to a more priveleged position shares in their deeds?

Yeah right

Sometimes I take a break from posting because it ends up that every jw thing I read is just so full of it.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I know an attractive young woman that was reproved for allowing herself to be voted Homecoming Queen. It crushed by the congregation's response as she was simply overwhelmed by the flattery of it all (like anyone would be) and was not seeking to beome "part of the world". Yet she was treated like a threat to other youths in the congo. Sad.

• blondie
    blondie
    I know an attractive young woman that was reproved for allowing herself to be voted Homecoming Queen.

"Reproved"?

That means she could have been DF'd for it but was repentant? I didn't know this was a DFing offense.

Maybe she was "marked."

Blondie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I wouldn't be surprised at the 'reproved' bit, that is, in the unofficial sense of the word.

How glad we are to be away from all that!

• undercover
    undercover

She was probably "counseled". Which of course means, "you shouldn't have done that. You have brought reproach on Jehovah's organization".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit