Do words that "just slip out" reflect true feelings?

by happyout 37 Replies latest social current

• happyout
    happyout

I just read the following article:

• IronGland
    IronGland

Must have been a quick read

• happyout
    happyout

Let me try that again (cute come back, IG)

I just read the following article:

this is showing when I type it in, but keeps disappearing when I hit submit. I am going to try re-posting it

Happyout

• happyout
    happyout

Ok, for some reason, it won't paste. Please see this story:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/09/19/sambo.remark.ap/index.html

I am at a loss to understand how something like that could “slip out without thinking”. As for the teacher’s explanation that she didn’t know the term “Sambo” was a slur, I would have to ask in what context she had ever heard the word used. And why use that particular phrase? What did she think it meant?

Maybe I am being too harsh, but I don’t understand the whole “slipped out” phenomenon. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Happyout

• teejay
    teejay

I believe they do.

• talesin
    talesin
    she considered her words a "grave mistake."

Yeah, I bet she did. It was a mistake to reveal her true, racist colours.

Words like this don't 'slip out' unless we're thinking them (imho). It's the 21st century and she is an educator - not acceptable AT ALL.

tal

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I don't see how it was a slip of the tongue.

She either knew what it meant, and as a racist she let it fly out on accident.

Or she really didn't know what it meant in which case she has been living under a rock.

But I don't think you can have both. How can your tongue slip, when you don't know what you're saying means. If you don't understand the concept you probably wouldn't use it.

It's either one or the other.

I hope she really didn't know what it meant, because if she did, that sort of behavior is unaccaptable.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I dont believe words that slip out necessarily reflect true feelings. Look at the words that slip out during arguments, damn.

Also I would get highly strung if someone pinned me for something that slipped out and then they self rightously pretended to know exactly what was in my heart or my intent/motive for saying it, and then I was held up as some sort of criminal on the basis of a word that slipped out.

Brummie

• setfreefinally
    setfreefinally

Absolutely not. I can personally attest to that.

• Scully
    Scully

Sometimes they do. Probably moreso when they are spoken in a state of anger/rage.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit