Are there any young folks who are sincere JWs?

by Spudinator 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spudinator
    Spudinator

I'm closer to middle-age so that is why the question is posed; so those that are younger or really know some younger JWs very well can give an older codger some insight.

I hear a lot of grumbling among those of my generation that the new kids just don't seem to get it. ("It" being the "Truth.") Is this really the case for the vast majority? If not, what kind of percentage do you feel really are sincere? I realize it is impossible for any of us to truly judge another's heart, but your best estimate and related thoughts on this would be appreciated.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

There must be because some are still pioneering and some are still entering Bethel

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I'm sure there are still sincere young JWs - probably 10-25% of them, I would say.

However, the low birth rate among JWs (waiting for the new system), coupled with the outright loss of about half of their young ones, and the nominal nature of about half of the remainder, means that the organization is going to be in for some pretty tough times.

Not only that, they are getting almost no new converts in Western countries. Converts tend to be the most adamant supporters. So, I predict that there will be a shortage of die-hard JWs in the near future. They will become nominal, just like the Christendom that they critisize.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have heard a few elders admit the demographics of the organization is one of an aging organization -- not as many young ones so the avearge age is creeping up -- remember it is the younger ones who tend to be familiar with the Internet/computers --and as can be seen from many other threads -- the Internet is a big threat to the WTBTS -- interesting times are ahead

• Piph
    Piph

I'm still an active dub for now, and in my area there are still sincere JW girls and boys (age range 10-20), but they're also walking that fine line between doing what they know is right for themselves now and what they believe is doing what's right for them spiritually. They know from experience that following the pioneer now and do more way of thinking isn't working for them emotionally so it must not be the right thing for them now. People complain in this area about there being no 'spiritual' young men; it's true, hardly any of them are reaching out in the congregation.

I think that young people are becoming more and more aware of their needs and limitations and just aren't pushing themselves, even if they feel guilty about it. I think it's great to see so many young people trying to do what's best for themselves. I only hope that will lead to their leaving the borg in the future.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

my little sis is a Super-Dub Extraordinaire, and she's 18.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I think it's because many kids today are 3rd generation Dubs, so they have seen the BOrg's effect on their parents' and grandparents' life decisions. Decisions not to pursue a career, to make pioneering their career, not saving for the future, not buying houses but renting instead, expectations of Armageddon coming "any time now" etc etc.

These things have made an impact on later generations observing how the Borg has impacted their family. And seeing that many of the Borg's "suggestions" have been to the detriment of people, younger ones are wising up and deciding to do things that suit themselves first, rather than allow the Borg to dictate how to live their lives.

I was a 3rd generation Dub myself, with many relatives who are/were Dubs too, so I've been able to see things for myself. I was brought up during the "no tertiary education" period, so I never got a university degree nor persued a career. Neither did my sister who is 12 years older. My sister got married during the "no kids in the last days" phase during the late 80s. She put off having kids until it was almost too late for her to bear them. She also regrets not going to university. So guess what? Both my sister and I are determined that my niece will be allowed to go to university if she wants to, regardless of what the Borg says in 10 years' time.

It's our life, and the Borg has no right to dictate how we (millions of people) should live their life. What right do they have?

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

I have several friends who are sincere Jehovah Witnesses and believe they have the 'truth'. I don't believe they will last long in the sect if someone starts preaching to them, they cannot defend their beliefs well enough. The only problem is that they are still 'deaf', they just don't want to listen to other people from a different religion and regard any info you give to them as 'apostate information'. Been there, done that.

• the mole
    the mole

hi......i wanted to add that i also was born into the program. im 36 and during the days of the 70's when the so called time of the end was here i remember the elders coming over and telling my dad to quit his job. i remember the 80's when school was the issue and no one was allowed college. i graduated in 1995 with my AA and now have my BA. now looking back none of my friends during those years ever went back to the hall. so now i tell my kids to do what they need to do and not listen to what the elders preach. we sit in the hall and i can hear my kids chuckle when i ask why they both say the men giving the talks are not very educated they cant pronouce the words right. my daughter teen friends all have dropped out and are going to school and living their lives. but the kingdom ministry keeps telling everyone of the growth around the world but the time i went out in service i couldnt get one person in a month to talk with me...doom to the wts is near...

• ballistic
    ballistic

Did you know that all the major growth countries for the witnesses are identical to all the growth countries for cigarette smoking? (I only checked the top few but I guess this is a trend)

I guess the cigarette companies have came to the same conclusions as the Watchtower, and are cashing in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit