A question of culture

by Adam 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Adam
    Adam

Last year my girl's daughter was in 3rd grade. We lived in Cupertino, CA. This area has a lot of newly immigrated families from (mainly) the Middle East, Asia, and Mexico. The teacher sent the little one home with a notice that there was going to be a "culture day" in her classroom. The kids were to wear "cultural" clothing and bring "cultural" food to share. My girl is white, her daughter's father is black. Both sides of the family have been in America for as far back as anyone can tell. We decided that the little one's culture was American. She was going to wear jean shorts and a t-shirt, both with American flags and sentiments on them, and bring burgers and fries to class. The teacher responded that we could not do this because it wasn't "cultural."

Does anyone else think that the teachers reaction was wrong? Does anyone else think the teacher's response is symptomatic of a general disregard and/or dismissal of American culture in this country today?

P.S. We fought it and sent the little one in the garb and with the food of her rightful culture anyway.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

*groan* Yes, that teacher was WAY out of line! Hey, the U.S. has a really cool culture and I'm sure all of the kids enjoyed the hamburgers. It doesn't have to be foreign to be culture. Sheesh.

Nina

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

That was ridiculous! Of course that teacher was wrong!

• smack
    smack

culture schmulcher.

The most common dish in the UK is a goddam Vindaloo

In Aus it is stir fry, fired rice, souvlaki or any one of a hundred cultures. (when I were a lad it was overcooked mutton)

hic

smack

• happyout
    happyout

This is what worries me about my son starting school. Some idiotic teacher saying something stupid and possibly damaging his psyche. Me going to the school and beating down said teacher.

You were 100% correct, and I sincerely hope you never lose the power of your convictions. Good for you!!

Happyout

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

First of all your childs teacher picked a really bad lesson. Poorly thought-out, in my opinion.

Cultural issues are hard to talk about in any classroom, and creating a lesson around them should not be handled with such a flippant and careless attitude, which I think this teacher displayed. What she did is teach from what is known in educational circles as a Hero and Holiday approach. It reduces any strong and vibrant culture (which we know, NO culture can ever be reduced to a few holidays and food dishes) to a small and silly quirky bunch of people who are "different". It's like having Mexico Day and having the kids make pinatas and having cactus center-pieces while serving spanish rice at lunch. It doesn't promote "awarness" at all. It does nothing to acknowledge the modern day lives of most chicano people. All it does is reinforce racial sterotypes.

There is also quite a bit of discussion among educators, hell we just talked about it yesterday in one of my classes, about mixed-race and mixed-ethnicity students. Cultural days will always put them on the spot, and force them to choose between their different heritages, when in reality--they are all of them. Often times too, they are forced to identify with the parent of color, which is also of no help to anyone.

I applaude what you and your partner did. Your daughter is an American. If you as a family feel your cultural heritage is American. Good for you! I think given the crap assignment, and it was crap, you as a family made the right choice. Let's face it, America has a culture too.

If I was you, I would refer your daughters teacher to these books. If nothing else it might strike a point to her that her approach is lacking, and might be able to give her some ideas on how to handle a situation like this better if she is ever so bold to try this again.

• Beyond Heroes and Holidays: A Practical Guide to K-12 Anti-Racist, Multicultural Education and Staff Development by Enid Lee (Editor), Deborah Menkart (Editor), Margo Okazawa-Rey (Editor)
    • Rethinking Our Classrooms Vol 2 by Bill Bigelow , Rethinking Schools Publication , Rethinking Schools (Rethinking-schools is also a newspaper for educators, she can subscribe to that)
    • Other People's Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom by Lisa D. Delpit

I have already checked and she can order any of these wonderful resources through Amazon.

Happy-out, I hope you change your mind about teachers. They are not idiotic, and they usually just want to do the best job they can. If you don't lose your cool you can usually talk to them about anything. Most teachers are more than happy to meet with parents. It's a nice change of pace to see parents that take in interest in what their kids are doing/learning in school.

• happyout
    happyout

Joannadandy,

My mom has been a teacher for over 30 years, so I don't think ALL teachers are idiots ( and I don't think my message read that way). However, there are many teachers that are, and I have personally met a lot of them at my mom's various schools. My initial instincts in speaking to anyone are to be peaceful, polite, and tactful. However, when it comes to my child, I am afraid I am quick to "pull the trigger" when someone is potentially harming him (mentally or physically). I have had family members also have bad experiences with the bad type of teacher (one of my cousins was taped to a chair with her mouth taped shut. The teacher's explanation was that "black kids talk too much".) I can't say I would have been able to control myself if someone did that to my child. My cousin kept his cool, more respect to him, but I am not sure I could have. I realize that this type of thing doesn't happen often, but it does happen more often that you might think.

I hope and pray that my son will always be exposed to good teachers, but the statistics are against him.

Hope this clarifies.

Happyout

• Aztec
    Aztec

Trust JoJo the monkey wrangler to make a deep post on the topic. I just can't keep up with that girl.

The teacher was wrong. America has it's own culture which is a mixture of all the cultures that it has embraced. We're supposed to be a melting pot right? I'd hate for my son, who has mixed ethnicity, to be forced to choose his culture. He's American and that's his culture. Right now he's in the bathtub singing a Britney Spears song for crying out loud...LOL!

~Aztec

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I have to say that the teacher was WRONG. I wonder if she/he was from other culture, who do not see American culture as a real one or maybe he/she was expecting American kids dressed up like Amish.

• Beans
    Beans

Yes, the teacher is absolutley wrong!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit