Math / logic puzzle

by Simon 39 Replies latest social entertainment

• AlanF
    AlanF

Drwtson said:

: Alan: you can't do step 4! How could you pour only 6 of the 7 litres? There's no way to tell...

Oops! I was thinking backwards. What else is new?

AlanF

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I just did quarterly sales taxes for the most messed up books I have ever seen in my entire life. No more math teasers, thank you. We don't even use liters here.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

see... I cna't even spell the word litre right. WTF is a litre?

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Are they plastic buckets or metal buckets??

DK

• Aztec
    Aztec

Syrup, I love you!

~Aztec

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Allan: It depends what you mean by scratch?

Courtest of a tip from drwtsn32, I typed the answer, then selected it. I then clicked on highlight color and then on font color. Then I clicked on HTML, and altered the color code to be the same as the background code.

I had originally posted my answer in full text, then went back and hid it after learning the technique.

• Simon
    Simon

A litre is what we buy petrol in. You buy it by the gallon and call it gas, even though it is clearly a liquid. The cost of our litre is pretty close to the cost of your gallon. There are several litres in a gallon though and more if you use your big-portion-gallons compared to proper gallons that we use so we pay a lot more for our petroleum than you do for your (liquid) gas.

I hope this makes everything crystal clear.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Dr.Watson, Sorry I missed this one. I love these things... Your solution was 8 steps... Step1:12/12 0/8 0/5
    Step2:4/12 8/8 0/5
    Step3:4/12 3/8 5/5
    Step4:9/12 3/8 0/5
    Step5:9/12 0/8 3/5
    Step6:1/12 8/8 3/5
    Step7:1/12 6/8 5/5
    Step8:6/12 6/8 0/5

I can't beat it, except by cheating...

Step1:12/12 0/8 0/5
    Step2:4/12 8/8 0/5
    Step3:4/12 3/8 5/5(but mark the 3-litre line in the 8-litre bucket with spit, fingernail, dirt, eyelash, etc.)Step4:9/12 3/8 0/5
    Step5:9/12 0/8 3/5 (but mark the 3 litre line in the 5 litre bucket with spit, fingernail, dirt, eyelash, etc.)Step6:6/12 3/8 3/5 (using the first mark you made)
    Step7:6/12 6/8 0/5

And don't tell me that making the marks is an extra step, otherwise I can't win.

Gamaliel

• Happythoughts
    Happythoughts

It goes like this: 12,0,0; then 0,8,4; then 4,8,0; then 4,3,5; then 9,3,0; then 9,0,3; then 1,8,3; then 1,6,5, then 6,6,0 (the order of containters is the 12 liter, 8 liter, then 5 liter).

You start with the full 12 container and first fill the 8 liter containter full and put the rest in the 5 liter containter (since there's only 4 liters left in the 12 liter bucket, the 5 liter container only has 4 liters in it). Then your containers are as follows: zero liters in the 12 liter bucket, 8 liters in the 8 liter bucket and 4 liters in the 5 liter bucket. 0,8,4

Actually you could do it this way: Dump 8 liters into the 8 liter container and then dump five of those liters in the five liter containter, leaving the buckets as follows: 4,3,5

Start with the 12 liters and dump 8 of those liters into the 8 liter container. then you have 4 liters left in the 12 liter container.

Then in turn take the 8 liter container and fill up the 5 liter container, leaving only 3 liters in the 8 liter container.

So now your 12 liter container has 4 liters, your 8 liter container has 3 and your 5 liter container has 5.

Now take you 5 liter container and dump it back into the 12 liter container.then your 12 liter container has 9 liters, your 8 liter container has 3 and your 5 liter container has 0. 9,3,0--for short

then dump the 3 liters from your 8 liter container into your 5 liter container, leaving 0 liters in the 8 liter container.

Now your containers look like this: 9,0,3. 9 in the 12 liter container, 0 in the 8 liter and 3 in the 5 liter.

Now take your 9 liters in the 12 liter container and fill up your 8 liter container again, leaving 1 liter in the 12 liter container, 8 in the 8 liter container and 3 in the 5 liter container. 1,8,3

Now take your 8 liter container and add 2 more liters to your 5 liter container (which already has 3 liters in it) and now your 5 liter container is full. H ence your containers look like this: 1 in the 12 liter, 6 in the 8 liter and 5 in the 5 liter. Now all you have to do is empty your 5 liter container back into the 12 liter container--and wallah, you have 6 liters in the 12 liter container and 6 liters in the 8 liter container.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Soooo ... Am I now smart ... by association...?

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit