Did You Think Jehovah’s Witnesses Were Typically “Racists”?

by minimus 60 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

So it appears that depending where you live or simply the luck of the draw, you could see plenty of racism or hardly any at all.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

They are not racist. That's one of the decent things about them. But its only on the surface because to be accepted you have to submit to the GB.

Therefore, they prove to be anti the Christian conscience of ALL races.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

Didn’t see any racism but there was a lot of classism. If you had a little money you were on a pedestal. No money - eh

• Giordano
    Giordano

Long story short the WTBTS was as racist as it could be. Jews ..nope. People of color....nope.

I served in 3 New York City congregations in the late 1950's and early 60's and there was never an appointed Brother of color.

You could visit Bethel and sit at the lunch table with hundreds of white Bethelites ........ and if you really looked hard you might find a couple of people of color.

I am sure the ratio has changed but not the attitude in the Society re Bethel.

• blondie
    blondie

I think that the jws I knew were not blatantly racist, but only among their jw friends that shared their hidden beliefs. Then there is institutional racism, built into the community life around you, for many generations.

Perhaps, the term might be prejudiced.

When I was young I lived in a southern state in the 50's, I am white. Congregations were segregated. It would look bad to the white "worldly" people if white jws witnessed to black "worldly" people. It would be better if their own people witnessed to them. Then civil rights came in the 60's, but congregations in the south still were segregated. Think about it, congregations were formed based on the people who lived near the KH. There were few if any integrated neighborhoods even then. Congregations still tend to be more black in areas where the neighborhood is made up mostly black people, and vice versa for mostly white neighborhoods.

In NYC, the only white people in some congregations were Bethelites assigned to go to that congregation. The WTS was quietly trying to integrate. I used to wonder if they sent black Bethelites to mostly white congregations?

I wouldn't say that jws are more prejudiced than non-jws, just not reflecting the official statements of the WTS.

I had family members that would never work in predominantly black neighborhoods, too much crime there. At the same time their neighborhood while mostly if not all white, was the biggest center of the sale and use of drugs in the city...

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Racism is not something I can hold against the JWs. I had Black, Arab, and Hispanic friends and we took pride in our diversity. It was one of the arguments that kept me in longer than I should have. They bragged about it as if they were the only ones that could look beyond races. In the end, I realize now, that people from all races will treat you the same when you choose to leave their religious group: Shunning.

• Simon
    Simon
    So it appears that depending where you live or simply the luck of the draw, you could see plenty of racism or hardly any at all.

Yeah, a congregation is just a subsection of the local people in the community, so not entirely surprising that it usually ends up reflecting that community in some way.

I think local behaviors and opinions tend to override those preached by the WTS, many miles away, but they may smooth off a few of the rougher edges that may otherwise have existed.

Almost as if they don't really have as much control over people as some believe they have.

• mann377
    mann377

Racism is used very loosely if not out right wrong. Racism is the belief that your race is genetically superior. Just because your avoid someone or dislike someone is more an act of bigotry. I saw this on a few occasions. It was related to a difference of culture rather than feeling genetically superior. Some cultures just do not mix because of back ground or other issues. This goes on both sides of the aisle.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I can honestly say I did not see racism and the white Witnesses really treated the black Witnesses well.. I even saw a black brother’s son behave badly and nothing was done about it. Everybody looked the other way!

As SWEETP said:..there IS classism and materialism. I did notice that a particular black brother was preoccupied with the perceived financial status of white families there. Meanwhile, I was oblivious to this and I don’t consider myself to be an envious person. I realize there are always going to be people richer or poorer than myself. I was just a working woman.

I saw over time that certain black people there (well dressed and gainfully employed) became unfriendly and wouldn’t say hello! This was noticed by everybody including very hospitable older white sisters..We wondered what the hell was going on.

Well, guess what? I saw this tactic in the workforce with some black people..If they’re nice, I am friendly..If they are surly and standoffish, I avoid them. Anybody expecting people to kiss their asses and give them special attention better not hold their breath.

• tiki
    tiki

Depends on where you lived

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit