Memory - How it works

by Lady Lee 40 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Many survivors have difficulty understanding the nature of memory, why we forget and what causes us to remember. We often doubt what we remember or others doubt what we say. We think we must be crazy to even have certain thoughtss. We have nightmares that keep us awake and we try everything in our power to make the bad memories go away. We have heard stories of created memories and false memories and half-true memories. So how can we be sure that what we do remember is real? How do we trust ourselves and what is contained in our memory.

First let’s talk about what memory is. Many people think that memory is the picture in your head of something that has happened. We rely so much on visual memory that we tend to forget or don’t realize that there are other kinds of memory.

For example how many of you can remember the smell of fresh baked bread (olfactory memory) or the sound of the wind in the trees (auditory memory). What about the softness of your favorite material (tactile memory) or the taste of your favorite foods (gustatory memory). These are all different types of memory. Your mind has the ability to recall information through all of your senses not just sight (visual memory). What about feelings? (emotional memory) How many remember feeling scared or happy, sad or proud. We can also remember what we were thinking or saying in a situation (cognitive memory) or what we were doing (behavioral memory). Those are memories too. And each of these types of memory is stored in your brain in a different place and in different ways.

Triggering one of the sensory memories will usually trigger the other parts of the memory. For example, as a kid I used to go to the fish market with my father on Saturday mornings. Now, whenever I think of cod, it triggers the olfactory memory and I smell cod (not a smell that I like). The smell of cod triggers the picture (visual memory) of us walking into this store (behavioral memory) filled with huge tubs packed full of water and fish. I remember feeling sad (emotional memory) for the fish and wondering how they could breathe in there with so many other fish (cognitive memory). I also remember the sounds of the market (auditory) of people shouting and of fish splashing in the water. I also remember I hated going anywhere with my father because he was always yelling at us which created a lot of anxiety (emotional memory). I could go on but I think you get the point.

In most cases one piece of a memory will trigger the next piece and so on until you have the whole memory. Something that most people have experienced concerning memory is called "Tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon". This occurs when you are trying to remember someone’s name. You can see their face and maybe even remember where you saw them last or what they were doing but you can’t remember the name. This is an excellent example of knowing that you know something but not being able to access the part of the memory you want even though other parts are recalled. The more you try to remember the harder and more frustrating it becomes. Most often if you forget about it and start talking about something else the name will pop into your head.

Years ago, Dr. Penfield in Montreal discovered that the brain stored memories in different parts of the brain. In some of his research he was able to map out which parts of the brain were responsible for different kinds of memory. He discovered that when something happens to us we do not put the entire memory in one place in our brain and label it as "Memory of learning to ride bike", for example. Each part of the memory is stored in different places which actually means that there are many pathways to a memory. For example, when learning to ride a bike various senses are used to learn this skill.

Almost any one part of that memory has the power to trigger all the other parts or only a few or on rare occasions none.

This is what happens to a lot of abuse survivors. One part of the memory gets triggered and nothing else. For example I might smell cod and start feeling anxious and not know why because none of the rest of the memory gets triggered. So I am left feeling anxious and not understand why I am having that reaction.. By not being able to make the connection and not understanding the nature of memory I might start to believe that I have an anxiety disorder. By being able to connect the anxiety I can begin to connect the rest of the memory by trying to find the other parts of the memory (This should initially be done with a therapist who understands the nature of repressed memory especially if there is a history or suspicion of abuse).

When I went to college there was a candy factory across the street from the building where I had to go for some of my classes. One morning they were making something that smelled like coconut cream pie. A good memory of a special candy that I loved as a child. But it took me almost the whole semester to remember the connection to the candy. For a long time I went in to school every morning and I was the only one smelling coconut cream pie. The smell had connected with going to school. So I didn’t need the smell anymore to make the connection. School was enough to trigger the memory of the candy.

For those of us who have been abused it is very important to understand how memory works and how some of your dignosed problems may be related to memory.

• waiting
    waiting

I haven't have time to re-read this - but giving a Good Bttt Back Up.

Thank you for all your time & effort.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

This is a very important topic, and I appreciate your.....your.....your.....

Gosh.....I forgot what I was going to say!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What was that you were saying SFJ

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I'm glad you resurrected this thread LL. It's a shame it was lost. There was some good stuff in the other, so let's see if we can improve.

Triggering one of the sensory memories will usually trigger the other parts of the memory.

I think I experienced this with many of my abuse memories. To this day, there are a handful of songs from my childhood (Judy Garland singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas") and I am transported back to 1966 complete with footy pajamas. It's amazing how this process works. I don't think I'm special, I think this is the case for most people just as you point out.

One part of the memory gets triggered and nothing else.

Absolutely. For me it was a phrase, a threat someone made to me that sent me screaming into a corner. I do believe in this cascading of memories because I experienced it. One led to another and another, and soon the whole thing fell over like a house of cards.

Memory is a funny thing. What we choose to remember versus what we don't.

What's too painful to remember
    We simply choose to forget

Barbra Streisand

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Yup sometimes we choose and sometimes the choice is made for us. Death threats have a way of making us forget. If I forget what happened then I can forget the threat and then I can wake up in the morning and act like everything is normal

But it isn't and we don't know why.

The more I learn about the mind and memory the more it fascinates me. Forgetting can be such a gift sometimes. The downside is that if we forget what happens then we have no information to use to protect ourselves. The adage "Knowledge is power" is very true.

• mizpah
    mizpah

We must not overlook the possibility of false memories. In a number of cases involving children in preschool sexual abuse cases it was determined that preconditioning by parents and therapists created false memories of events that never occurred. Young children are vulnerable in these situations. Courts are cautious now to accept testimonies from very young children because of this.

Therapists were often the greatest offenders. They could easily implant false memories in their sessions. Instead of trying to gain an unbiased opinion, they worked hard to condition the child to testify falsely.

Also, memory can be tainted by other factors. I have a clear memory of hearing about the bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941. But since I was only six years old at the time, I'm really not sure whether this memory is a true one or one that was developed by listening to everyone's story about that Sunday morning.

One has to be very careful when it comes to Memory...and how it works!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Mizpah we are in the middle of this discussion on another thread

Why is it that the issue of false memory has to come up all the time.

One of the problems I have found is that people discount many types of memory simply because they don't know there are different kinds. Hence they wind up with a diagnosis of anxiety or panic disorder when all they have is a part of a memory.

Now I am one who believes tha no one - not a person and not a therapist should go looking for memories. if they are buried there is a reason for it. Leave it alone. Deal with the other problems in life. Once those other problems are dealth with the repressed stuff will surface when the person is ready for it

• waiting
    waiting

Hello mizpah,

Thanks for the warning - another one was given this morning by rem ----- and everytime a thread is posted about memory or repressed memory, a poster feels obligated to warn all others.

To be honest? Anyone who has read both sides of the arguments on memory & repressed memory knows the arguments. I've done some of my reading..........have you?

You do understand the different between memory - and therapists/doctors/parents/teachers who taint the memories of children (primarily in the 80's)? Even in adults while in therapy? Does this mean that there is no possibility of repressed memories in any person on earth......or that some forms of therapy interaction with sexual abuse survivors (or dealing with anyone in memory work) is unsuitable.

" I have a clear memory of hearing about the bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941. But since I was only six years old at the time, I'm really not sure whether this memory is a true one or one that was developed by listening to everyone's story about that Sunday morning. "

One fact is certain - the bombing of Pearl Harbor DID happen. You were six - you were old enough to remember. You could also have absorbed other people's speaking of this event.

But the fact remains - the bombing of Pearl Harbor DID happen.

That's one of the over-riding themes in these threads - memory is not 100% accurate sometimes. There is this thread and a 4/5 page thread by Big Tex with many posts about accuracy (or lack thereof) in memory. Please take the time to read.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Lee,

I am assuming that all the warnings get redundant?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit