New round of elders and MS schools going on, anyone have a inside scoop on any of the info being shared there?

by optimisticskeptic 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fokyc
    fokyc
    "How to be an effective liar."
  • freddo
    freddo

curiousconfused said "Parts of this years Elders school were pretty interesting actually."

Do I detect the whiff of the original context "curate's egg" CC?

• Alfred
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What was the interesting part about being told to read well?

I guess they had run out of things to say about looking after sick and elderly people, having strong families, and helping young people to thrive and grow up to be the best they can.

They finally had to resort to telling grown men that if they read things properly then people will understand what is being read, just to fill up the time.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Adventists have activities for young people called the "pathfinders programme". It's a bit like the scouts or guides. They teach young people basic skills, get them to work in groups as young people, and with adults, and they learn personal, social and spiritual skills along the way.

Christadelphians have a programme called the "isolation league". It sounds pretty sinister first! But actually it's an attempt to make sure no one in their community feels alone or isolated. So younger ones reach out by making visits, phoning or writing letters and emails.

But as long as JW elders make sure they read the Bible clearly at the meetings that's the main thing.

• cofty
    cofty
    they learn personal, social and spiritual skills along the way

What are "spiritual skills" exactly? Is that another word for indoctrination?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think any exploration of the idea that life can have meaning, individually and as communities is is important. But Adventists are Bible believers for sure, and I guess the programme has got Bible teaching in it, but I don't know. What impressed me was how it encouraged young people to work together and to seek the advice and guidance of adults. Pretty good lessons no matter what your ideology.

• cofty
    cofty

Yeah I remember all the youth and child programmes when I was in church. It looked good but behind it all was the desire to indoctrinate impressionable minds with religious superstitions.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The only bit I didn't like about the Pathfinders programme (in common with BB and other groups) was the use of the Union Jack flag as part of the ritual. If you want to talk about indoctrination I think that's a place to start. Emile Durkheim said patriotism is the biggest religion of all.

• never a jw
    never a jw

@Slim: "...said patriotism is the biggest religion of all."

Amen to that brother. And yet, do we want to go the John Lennon way? I guess we need the patriotic religion just in case other countries' patriots want to kick our asses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit