PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

by JohnTron7 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JohnTron7
    JohnTron7

I saw in the news where a teacher got mad at a student for coming in late during the Pledge of Allegiance and threw them against a wall and so the student was suing.

This made me want to ask, Jehovah's Witnesses stand up during the Pledge of Allegiance along with everyone else. Why is that ok but, it wasn't ok for Shadrach , Meshach and Abednego to bow down to the king's idol ? If the command had been for everyone who was sitting to stand at attention for the idol, wouldn't that have been the same thing ? I realize they will say it's just a way to show they recognize the government is only in it's position because of God but, wouldn't the act of standing/bowing visibly show everyone that you are in agreement with that authority ? After all, the Pledge of Allegiance states it's one nation under God. By standing isn't that the same as showing subjection to the nation ?

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

The reasoning is that being present is the form of respect equivalent to standing, and bowing down is the form of worship equivalent to putting hand to heart.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

At one of those week-long (perhaps it was two weeks) school for elders I asked a similar question. "Why is it that when a JW John Doe joins the military that he is not disfellowshipped."

The instructor proceeded to explain that, instead, it is announced that John Doe has disassociated himself from the congregation. The two terms are actually synonymous when it comes to how the congregation must shun them. The difference is how the congregation is informed and it is purely legalistic. He proceeded, "can you imagine how quickly Watchtower headquarters would be shut down if they kicked someone out (John Doe is disfellowshipped) for joining the military? We're talking charges of sedition -- conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state. On the other hand, we can announce that John Doe disassociated himself from the congregation. We at headquarters simply listened to John Doe's apparent decision. That's totally on him. We're not responsible, simply informing the congregation about John Doe's voluntary actions."

The year was 1976 and I felt dejected. I felt like our leaders were putting their tails between their legs. Cowards, I felt. I left the org in 1977.

• JohnTron7
    JohnTron7

Neat Blue Dog,. Are you saying that if everyone had been seated , and the king said " All Stand to show you worship my idol" that would have been alright for Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego to do ?

• TD
    TD

I've never quite understood the distinction, to be honest.

In Western culture, standing up is a sign of respect, not an act of worship. You stand when a judge enters the courtroom. It doesn't mean you necessarily agree with the judge's decisions. You stand for the National Anthem. It doesn't mean you necessarily agree with a country's policies. In both cases, it's simply acknowledge of and respect for authority.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Are you saying that if everyone had been seated , and the king said " All Stand to show you worship my idol" that would have been alright for Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego to do

No, it's based on the conditions of the situation which you just explained yourself.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I think the standing is about not showing disrespect, rather than showing allegiance.

However I do very much take your point.

The instructor proceeded to explain that, instead, it is announced that John Doe has disassociated himself from the congregation.

Exactly FFreek 2005 it's a distinction without a difference. In this case they don't DF purely for legal reasons. Same for taking a blood transfusion. If watchtower kicked people out for joining up, taking blood or voting they'd be prosecuted by governments because every citizen has a right to those things in a democracy. Suffrage is universal and they'd be in hot water pretty quick if they forbade that, too. So as with joining up they DA.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit