Is the Koran an Inspired Book?

by Happythoughts 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Happythoughts
  • Valis
    Valis
    In this, it is directly opposed to the Bible.

Whoa there! You ever read Revelation? We could also talk about the Old testament that is filled with references to killing whole nations because they didn't worship Jehover. Very violent book in it's own right.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

i'm an atheist, so i suppose you know what i'd say about the "is it inspired" bit.

and i have to agree, the koran and the bible are BOTH rather violent reads.

• Happythoughts
    Happythoughts

Yes, there are: some have argued that those examples are genocied and therefore have attacked the Bible and God on the point. The Koran and Bible talk about some of the same things. The difference is the context, overall message, and source of material. For example, the Koran doesn't teach that Jesus was the son of God, nor that he had to die for our sins. This is a direct contradiction of the scriptures and contradicts everything about the Old Testament. The Koran also teaches that the Jews were never God's chosen people, that the Arabs were instead. The Koran talks a great deal about punishment, infidels, and the "fire that burns" perpetually. The Bible, while it talks about judgment and unbelievers, tempers it's message with God's love, forgiveness and the provision he's made through his son. The Bible speaks of God's love far more than anything else.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    The Bible speaks of God's love far more than anything else.

That is not a true statement, nor is it even close to a true statement. The god of the Koran may be somewhat more angry and vengeful and petty than the god of the bible, but it is definitely a race for the most Powerful Deified A**hole (pda) award.

btw, welcome to the board. I dig your glasses.

• metatron
    metatron

Inspired? Sure!

Mohammed got inspired everytime he needed to jump somebody's woman or betray

some tribe he needed to slaughter. A good book is Why I Am Not a Muslim.

metatron

• Amazing
    Amazing

I read the Koran (Qu'ran) a long time ago. It resembles a similar pattern of God in the Old Testament of the Bible. The New Testament or Christian portion of the Bible presents a slightly more loving and caring God. Much of the God of Love presented in the 20th and 21st Centuries is an invented God to appease modren sensibilities.

The Koran is on a par with the Book of Mormon ... except that it is less fictional in that it deals with real people and a real region. Otherwise, both books are a cruel joke perpetrated by religious hoaxters who together have fooled literally billions of people ... and the Koran in particular has fooled enough Muslims that they are willing to fly airplanes into buildings ... Visit Smiley Central!Visit Smiley Central!Visit Smiley Central!

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

the bible speaks mostly of god's love???? here are a very few samples...i didnt even delve into revelations...

Job 21:19
    It is said, 'God stores up a man's punishment for his sons.' Let him repay the man himself, so that he will know it!
    Job 19:29
    you should fear the sword yourselves; for wrath will bring punishment by the sword,
    that you may come to know the Almighty
    Psalm 81:15
    Those who hate the LORD would cringe before him, and their punishment would last forever.
    Jeremiah 32:17, 18
    Ah, Sovereign LORD..... 18 You show love to thousands but bring the punishment for the fathers' sins into the laps of their children after them.
    Jeremiah 48:44
    "Whoever flees from the terror will fall into a pit, whoever climbs out of the pit will be caught in a snare; for I will bring upon Moab the year of her punishment," declares the LORD
    Lamentations 5:7
    Our fathers sinned and are no more, and we bear their punishment.
    Ezekiel 5
    9 Because of all your detestable idols, I will do to you what I have never done before and will never do again. 10 Therefore in your midst fathers will eat their children, and children will eat their fathers. I will inflict punishment on you and will scatter all your survivors to the winds. 11 Therefore as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD , because you have defiled my sanctuary with all your vile images and detestable practices, I myself will withdraw my favor; I will not look on you with pity or spare you.
    Ezekiel 16:38
    I will sentence you to the punishment of women who commit adultery and who shed blood; I will bring upon you the blood vengeance of my wrath and jealous anger.

these are extremely tame. and if the bible is inspired by god, then this is the stuff he WANTS us to know about? he needs to work on his people skills imo. i'll mark him improved. continue to work on this next time, god, and we look forward to hearing from you in the future ;)

• Happythoughts
    Happythoughts

Much of the Book of Job reflects the opinions of the speakers but not necessarily God. Moab was a wicked nation that was in constant battle with Israel, God's chosen people. The scriptures in Jeremiah reflect the punishment that Babylon meted out to Israel because of their gross apostasy from God. While God didn't cause it, he did allow the Babylonians to chastise his people. The scripture in Ezekiel represents the severe famine that would come upon Jerusalem when they were attacked by Babylon, God was foretelling that they would turn to cannibalism because of a lack of food but he wasn't sanctioning the practice.

Job is a book of perspective and the others have to be taken in context. I never said that God doesn't judge--and sometimes severely. My point was contrasting that aspect with his personality with the others: namely, love, mercy, forgiveness and patience. The scripture says: "Mercy triumphs over judgment." But this is not to be taken to mean that God will forever wink at unrighteousness and do nothing. He will act, but only after giving everyone ample time to change. But if they refuse, he will judge--not his preference, but because he is a God of justice he cannot allow things to continue in the world as they are.

God is first about love and forgiveness, second about judgment. Judgment is what he does when he is left with no other choices.

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

uggh..these are "HappyThoughts"?

I take it you are still jw?

Welcome to the board in any case...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit