AUST: QLD Cairns Post - Tablelands police charge former JW with offences against children

by darkspilver 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I believe this has appeared into today's edition of the Cairns Post print newspaper (Saturday 4 February 2017) at the top of page 4 under the headline: "Indecent charges for man" - the actual text of the article is apparently the same as the online version below:

Cairns Post - Saturday 4 February 2017

Tablelands police charge former Jehovah’s Witness with offences against children

An elderly Tablelands man and former Jehovah’s Witness member will appear in court this month amid allegations he molested three young girls from the church more than 25 years ago.

Detectives from the Tablelands Child Protection and Investigation Unit charged the 74-year-old, who cannot be identified to protect the alleged victims, on Thursday after an investigation which spanned almost a year.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/tablelands-police-charge-former-jehovahs-witness-with-offences-against-children/news-story/171e96b1f09ec89faab6ba22a505726c

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

And it begins.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

And it begins.

I thought the following part of the OP article was very interesting (my emphasis)

Tablelands police detective Sergeant Kearin Corcoran said the information was provided after one of the alleged victims gave evidence during the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. He said police had received a report previously but had been unable to act due to a lack of evidence.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes! Fantastic to see that the referrals from the ARC are being taken seriously!

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

As this type of news becomes more common, I would hope that it encourages others to come forward. The appeal for victims in New Jersey could signal a large scale international effort to bring the Watchtower policies to light. The more lawsuits, the sooner the Org runs out of funds.

• gerry
    gerry

This is the elder from Mareeba congregation. I would have a guess that Angus is questioning the elder about this case.

Very damming if it is the same case as in the lead up to this questioning, Angus is asking the elder how do you protect the congregation from an abuser if he is deemed repentant and no one knows he is an abuser.. check it out.

start at 10:57

https://youtu.be/CSsRp_YHa0A?t=10m57s

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

More coverage.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

gerry:

This is the elder from Mareeba congregation. I would have a guess that Angus is questioning the elder about this case.

Very damming if it is the same case as in the lead up to this questioning, Angus is asking the elder how do you protect the congregation from an abuser if he is deemed repentant and no one knows he is an abuser.. check it out.

The Cairns Post article is not the same as the BCG case. In the case involving BCG, her father was found guilty and imprisoned. Though it was also brought out that the father also abused BCG's sisters, the ages reported in the Cairns Post article do not seem to match their circumstances either. It could be the other case mentioned in the linked video, but it's not entirely clear.

It is quite disturbing to learn of yet another case in that small town.
  • gerry
    gerry

Jeffro:

You are right the article is not the same as the BCG case.

I believe Angus was questioning Ron de Rooy about another case not related to BCG that happened in the Mareeba congregation.

watch the video again my understanding is that Angus is not talking about BCG's father. Ron de Rooy says he vaguely remembers dealing with this person.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

jwleaks: More coverage.

No. Afraid not.

That article is the same newspaper print article I refered to in the OP - though I admit I made a slight error calling it the 'Cairns Post' which is the name of the weekday Monday to Friday edition - the article, as I stated, appeared at the top of page 4 of the Saturday 4 February 2017, which is the weekend edition and is called 'Cairns Weekend Post' - sorry for the confusion.

I've also had it confirmed that the story on the top of page 4 of today's edition of The Cairns Post - Monday 6 February 2017 - is a totally unrelated story regarding "Wet season hammers Cairns with big totals" which is a lead on from the front page big picture headline.

So, despite the interesting Royal Commission angle.... no others news outlets seems to have picked it up (yet)??...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit