What Surprised You The Most About The "Truth"?

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

i was shocked to find out about the tarnished watchtower past. when i first got out, i didnt even know there'd been a 1975 armageddon prediction. i never knew about any of the back-and-forth shifts in their dogmatic teachings.....it completely disgusted me.

• minimus
    minimus

The contradictory statements in the publications are the biggest proof , imo, that the WT. doesn't teach the "truth". So Tinkerbell, since you didn't know about the flip-flops, what got you out?

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

many things prompted me to leave.....that might be a story best saved for another thread though, i wouldn't want to hijack this one

• Confucious
    Confucious

Probably the fact that you think you're so smart and you couldn't be "had."

Yet, now I'm researching things that were "out" since the 1980's, but all this time, I never researched it because we weren't supposed to.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

The first thing that really "shocked" me was seeing the WTS lie in one of their publications. Not surprisingly I tried to push this under the rug and make up some excuse... "it was simply very bad judgment on the part of the author." The next shocking thing to me was seeing the Dateline special on the pedophile problem.

Not too long after that I started recalling everything I pushed aside... there were simply way too many things for me to not think something was seriously wrong with this organization.

• sens
    sens

2 Many things to mention

but just off the top of my head...the things that shocked me the most:

The WTS & Johannes Greber

• minimus
    minimus

I knew about all of the "old light" and at the time, I didn't let that bother me because I took the position that the "lite gets brighter and brighter" and we are a progressive organization. But once I could prove to myself that the FDS is nothing but a scam and a sham, everything else made no sense.

• micheal
    micheal
    I think it is the terrific hold it has on us members. I never really thought that I was being so manipulated. And when I mention doubts to my friends, they get all scared and defensive, as if I am turning into a demon or something.

I can't remember how I ever got to this stage - of being controlled so much. When did it happen? I can't really remember - it just sort of crept up on me. At first I thought it was all love and kindness and honesty - but all I see now is a vice-like grip that doesn't want to let go.

Terri

Wow great post Terri, that is exactly the way I feel. Exactly.

• minimus
    minimus

Most people that start coming to the Hall get "love bombed". Nearly everyone comes by to see who you are, how you are, and what they can do for you. Some "new ones" fall for this and immediately get hooked. Then it's too late.....

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

It was that not everyone is going to heaven,only a little flock??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit