Whatever Happened to "No Part of the World" ??

by SanFranciscoJim 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

From South Carolina's The State at: http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/6734258.htm 'This boy died doing what he loved'
    Basketball player's teammates, coach, mother struggle to make sense of his untimely death
    By NICOLE SWEENEY
    Staff Writer

Takaaki Iwabu - The State
    Don Bell, basketball coach at A.C. Flora, consoles Nell Shaw, right, a cousin and teammate of Lee Cannon.

It was Lee Cannon's daily after-school routine: study hall, weight lifting and then a few games of pickup basketball at Trenholm Park before dinner.

But that routine went horribly awry Monday night, when the 17-year-old co-captain of A.C. Flora High's basketball team collapsed on the court and died in his friends' arms.

"I sat there and watched him fade away," said best friend and co-captain Raymond Robinson, who wore Cannon's student ID badge around his neck Tuesday. A photo of the two of them was taped to his chest.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said Cannon died from cardiac arrhythmia, or an irregular heartbeat, caused by a coronary artery that went into Cannon's heart muscle instead of around the heart or through fatty tissue. Watts said the unusual birth defect is difficult to detect.

Cannon's mother, Deborah, said her son had a physical every year and showed no signs of problems. "That's the thing I just don't get," she said.

Cannon's unexpected death has shaken his teammates.

"Some of them are afraid," said coach Don Bell. "They all love playing basketball, and this boy died doing what he loved."

Cannon was known as a smiling and laughing young man who befriended everyone he met.

"He loved to joke," his mother said. "He kept you laughing all the time."

A "B" honor roll student, he helped lead a study hall for his teammates after school and also served as a teacher's aide for Bell.

"He's been my right-hand man," Bell said Tuesday, his eyes shining with tears.

Bell stopped by Trenholm Park Monday night to check on the boys, his usual habit. "You guys need to behave," he joked.

"I got this," Cannon called out.

The students were nearing the end of their second game when Cannon called out, "Hey, man," stumbled and fell to the ground, Robinson said.

Robinson and others rushed to Cannon, holding his hands and cradling his head while they waited for EMS to arrive.

"They had to grow up quick last night," Bell said. "Those boys became men last night."

The news quickly spread through the student body, and more than 50 students gathered Monday night in Providence Hospital's parking lot. Some sobbing, some stunned into silence, the diverse crowd was a snapshot of the many students who considered Cannon a friend.

"Hispanic, white, black, boys and girls .‘.‘. he bridged all the gaps at this school," Bell said.

Bell broke the news of Cannon's death to the students waiting outside the hospital.

"The hardest thing I've ever done in my life was tell those kids that Lee was gone," he said.

The mood at A.C. Flora Tuesday was somber. The flag was at half-staff. "Remember Lee" was spelled out in black letters on the school's sign.

After the morning's pledge of allegiance, principal Marty Martin dedicated a moment of silence to Cannon.

A.C. Flora brought in additional counselors to meet with students.

Cannon's vivacious manner frequently made him the center of attention. Just last week, the basketball team went out to a barbecue joint, where Cannon had everyone in hysterical laughter with his stories.

"He was never serious except between the lines," Bell said. "He was serious about his basketball."

On the court, he was a hard worker and fierce competitor. "He was "always running, hustling," Robinson said.

"If you had 12 guys like Lee Cannon, you would win the state championship just because of hard work and attitude and because good things are supposed to happen to good people," Bell said.

Cannon was raised a Jehovah's Witness, and his faith was important to him, his mother said. He also volunteered in the summer with Habitat for Humanity.

Robinson, who had known Cannon since the sixth grade, described him as a funny, loving guy who loved to attend movies and talk on the phone.

He loved to quote from his favorite movies and do impersonations, said 17-year-old Jared Altus, a teammate.

Altus said he'll miss seeing Cannon "smiling and laughing and joking all the time.

"I'm just glad I got to know him."

============================================

Now, I know I've been out of the Organization for more than 23 years, but in my day, being a volunteer for a "worldly" organization would have been at the very least grounds for private reproof.

Have things changed that much? Are JWs now freely volunteering their time at charities that are not Watchtower-endorsed?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Actually, I already started a thread about this: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/58539/1.ashx

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

OOPS! Sorry.....I missed your thread...thanks.

BTW, my comments above in no way are meant to minimize the tragedy of this boy's death. It just seemed odd to me that someone whose "faith was important to him" would volunteer for a worldly organization, and was wondering if there was some "new light" on the subject I was unaware of.

• Panda
    Panda

SFJ, No new light, just smarter parents.

• blondie
    blondie

It could be that he was not baptized and that his father may not have been a JW.

I was able to do things other JW kids were not because my "worldly" father gave me permission to do so. Can't interfere with the head of the house, you know.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit