"Kingdom Melodies"

by ignorance is strength 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

Why exactly are they so bad? Are they afraid that a true orchestral and choral piece will glorify God too much?

BTW, can you think of any other songs that kingdom melodies sound like? there are quite a few and I know of one that sounds like "angels we have heard on high"

• NAPPY ROOTS
    NAPPY ROOTS

I just went to a funeral at a Methodist Church and the music brought back old memories of the KH. It sounded like old Kingdom Melodies. Most JW songs sound like funeral music. They need to add a little bass, a horn section, electric guitar and a keyboard.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Here's my version of the classic Kingdom Melody "Dwelling Together in Love and Unity." My version is authentic to the music and of course, is all "Bible Based."

http://www.bizwebgroup.com/lp/da_farkel.htm

Farkel

• razorMind
    razorMind
    They need to add a little bass, a horn section, electric guitar and a keyboard

. Yes, and they could also put a brother on one of those machines where you hold the tube in your mouth (a la' "Computer Love" by Roger)

He could lead each song while the congregation joins in.....can you just imagine "Be Glad, You Nations!" being sung like that?

heheheheheh....I'm sorry...the mental/audial image is just TOO funny.....

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

they definitely need help, I wonder who writes them, or as it has been suggested that they are copied from other melodies from other churches.

• mizpah
    mizpah

My wife and I have noticed that some of the melodies are very similar to those in classical music. We often wondered if they were not "borrowed" and passed along as "Kingdom Melodies."

• Hamas
    Hamas

One assembly in war torn Russia was stopped because of the kingdom melody that sounded like the German national anthem

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

They should get a guy scratching on a couple of turntables.

d-d-drink life's whawhawhawhawater free.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I attend a Baptist church (after 30 years in the JW's), and every once in a while during the prelude (usually the pianist plays a selection from two or three hymns to get everyone to sit down so the service can start) a familiar tune will waft by, and the words to a Kingdom Melody will pop into my head. Once I think about it, I realize that the tune she's playing isn't exactly like the Kingdom Song it reminded me of, but in many cases, the resemblance is too close to be coincidental. So I think that some of the WT songwriters have 'revised and adapted' songs from Christendom, whether consciously or unconsciously.

One example is a popular hymn called Anywhere With Jesus that reminds me a great deal of the song, Joyful Service.

Then again, one day as the service was opening, I recognized the music being played as the tune to Paul Simon's An American Tune, so I guess the WTS isn't the only one that 'revises and adapts'.

• Emma
    Emma

I love how others actually know these songs! This forum brings me to people who share part of my past. When I was still "in", even as a teenager, we used to have "sing-a-longs". I'm surprised that I actually remember so many lyrics.

The old green paperback songbook (this goes way back) had melodies from a few "worldly" sources. They were purged when that pink/purple thing came out. Actually got rid of some of the best melodies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit