Being taught to explain rape when a kid

by purrpurr 8 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Does anyone else recall in the 80s/90s that when the minor/child blood issue was discussed the jw children were taught to say that being forced to have blood would be like rape? And then had to be able to explain what rape is? Apparently there was a court case were the drs were trying to get a court order to force a blood transfusion on a jw child, and the child said it would be like rape to her and the judge asked her to explain what rape is to see if she understood what she was saying.

That went round my cong at least as a "fine witness " and all the parents were encouraged to have their kids practice the whole "explain rape" thing.

Anyone else remember this?

• zeb
    zeb

the parents and the elders should have been in the witness stand to explain for themselves. (I dont recall this situation.)

• User99
    User99

Yes, I remember. The point they were trying to make is that no one should force you to do something that is against your morals. But in a religion as strict as the JWs at that time, it was too embarrassing to ask someone what rape was. So probably most young people didn’t grasp the comparison / illustration.

• Alex Bogdanov
    Alex Bogdanov

I was baptised in 2003 at the age of 14. And some of my JW friends were still tought to say that. Maybe some JWs still use it now

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

"Rape is subjecting a person to sexual acts they don't consent to, such as the Jehovah commanded the Israelites to do when they were told to forcibly marry young female prisoners of war."

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Yes, I remember it. Some kids were also made to repeat back exactly what they would say if asked that question. Sinister...yet we didn't think twice about such things.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

But is it rape if the patient doesn't scream during the transfusion?

Gosh, I remember talking about the Dinah story with my father when I was in my early teens. He told me that unless I scream for my life during rape, I'm a fornicator. So I asked him what would happen if the rapist held a knife to my throat or put a gun to my head and said he'll kill me if I scream. WHAM! Sr said I still had to scream so it wouldn't be fornication. Seeing my wide-eyed horror, he then added, "most rapists with weapons won't follow through with the murder. They just use it to scare the woman."

"Most"! How comforting that "most rapists" is good enough to the Society, because a dead rape victim is better than a living "fornicator". It's interesting to contrast this policy with clerks being held up - whether at a bank, or a tiny convenience store. Management's policy for when the robber is armed is to ALWAYS comply - even at the expense of all the store's funds. Why? Because it's not worth risking a human life for anything! It's not a chance worth taking.

How's that for Watchtower? A human life is cheaper than the "symbol" of it (be it through taking blood, or failing to scream to protect your status within the congregation). Seriously messed up.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

The wt. has never vauled life. Front page of the wt. pictures of children who die from not taking a blood transfusion making them martyrs. Sexaul abuse of children is bad but we cover it up. Women need to stay with their husband even though he beats the shit out of you. Children going out door to door by themselves being subjected to some very bad people. Finally they teach thier God is going to kill everyone on this planet except them.

Yes I do remember being instructed to teach our children how to please their case not to have a blood transfusion. Still Totally ADD

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

Wow @wakeme... I can only imagine as a parent the moment when yr child calls logic on some nonsense rule u have just laid down.. One would hope that that may have sent a few volts into a disused circuit of his brain...

You just can't make that sound any worse than it is, my jaw is on the floor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit