Something I've never told you........

by Tinkerbell4125 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

Tink4, That wonderful caring heart of your is reaching out to get some help from us. I think that some counseling would be good. Or some support group. My husband 's very close friend killed himself w/ a shotgun. I felt guilty because I should've invited him over more often. But then he never came when we did invite him. His loneliness was a compounded problem of illness and girlfriend trouble. Gosh I still feel bad and I hardly knew him!

I think it's good for you to tell us. And also I think with relating the story and time will eventually ease your pain.

Love and Panda Hugs

• Panda
    Panda

Sorry dbl posting again

• Xandria
    Xandria
    I had resentment towards him for the abuse my siblins and I recieved from him growing up. Even though we were on civil terms when he died, I still had and have alot of anger towards him. I am so fustrated that I am approaching the 7th anniversary of his suicide and I still suffer like I do.

First of all, Tink ((HUGS)). I think my sisters and I can really relate to that feeling. I have been doing some soul searching myself. One part of you loves the person and another part is angry for the emotional abandonment, abuse,etc. . That is what you were dealing with~ an abandonment issue. Then to compound it, was the suicide death of your father. You feel bad and guilty that you did not take the opportunity to resolve many things~ but you have to ask yourself would he have been receptive ? Listened or was he dealing with his own personal demons ? I know you feel what could you have done to save him. Please realize...You were not responsible for his actions. But, there is a side of you that will always ask, "What if ?"

My sisters, little brother and I were dealing with so much during my mom's illness and before that it has left a gaping wound. Some of it has scarred and some of it is still bleeding.

The abuses we suffered left us unable to communicate our feelings, thoughts and emotions. We feared to do so due to the conditioning of the abuses we suffered.

There was so much anger there from certain events and things that there was an empass. The emotions were too raw. Then there is the guilt of treating the person ( in our case our mother) with anger because of all this pain~and this person was suffering too ( not from what she did to us, but from an illness). The whole situation did not give us the closer we needed so badly. TO know we were loved, to understand why our parent(s) allowed all this pain, to set us free from the pain we felt too.

Unfortunately, it still haunts us. But, we are finding ways to deal with it. By discussing it openly and honestly~ let the feeling flow out of us instead of festering. Writing~ this past anniversary of her death Sept. 1st. I wrote out all the feelings, the anger, the hurt, the bewilderment, once I had all that written out~ I burnt the pages and sent the (cooled) ashes out into the wind, in a way it set me free. I felt that peace and love I yearned for when I was a child~ as the tears ran down my face and the soft wind whistled around me.. the peaceful feeling from listening to that wind blowing through the trees and carrying off the ashes. Gave me what I needed most~ a little peace.

By discussing it (instead of bottling it up) it helps you grieve, find peace and acceptance about it, and finally peace with the past. Recognize it happened~ acknowledge the pain. But realize you cannot change the past, but you can have some impact on the future.

X.

• sens
  • Special K
    Special K

(((Tink4)))

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

((((Tink)))) Thank you so much for trusting us with your pain. My dad committed suicide the day after he was at our house and we had a firm talk with him about his drinking and how he was handling his money. He left our house, bought a gun and a jug of wine, and shot himself the next day.

Did we feel guilty? Well, yeah, of course we did! However, I've put most of the blame where I think it belongs: on the elders in his congregation who alternately harassed and neglected him to the point that he was self-medicating and drinking like a fish just to get through each day. I also know that with the burdens he was carrying from that [DELETED] religion, it wouldn't have mattered much what we said that day. Big Tex and I had known for months that he would do it -- it was just a question of when and how. (He'd made one attempt a year ago this month, after talking to the C.O. about his depression and receiving the proverbial serpent back.)

Darling, there isn't anything you could have done to stop it. You know that, but it still hurts down inside so you think, "if only, if only." That's normal after such an event.

I strongly suggest a support group. In the Dallas area we have a Suicide Prevention group that also does support groups for people who have lost loved ones/family members to suicide. I was in therapy already for leaving the Witnesses (it's been a rather INTENSE couple of years around the Scott household), so I didn't go to a group, but I did join a grief support group aimed at children, that also has groups for adults. That's been a godsend for the kids and has helped me a lot too. So get thee hence. Listen to other people's stories and grieve with them, get angry and yell at your dad, the elders, ANYONE YOU WANT, and you will find yourself starting to heal. It's a long, slow process. I get depressed every month around the day when Dad shot himself, even if I don't consciously realize it's that date. But each month it gets a tiny bit easier, and it will for you too.

I do, however, fully intend to be angry at the elders and GB for a long, long time.

Please PM me if you want to talk some more. I understand.

Love,

Nina

• berylblue
    berylblue

(((Tinkerbell)))

I am so sorry. I can't write now... more later, perhaps tomorrow.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Tinkerbell, you've received some excellant advice. In my non-professional opinion you need to talk to someone one on one. My father was very abusive as well. He and I have managed to salvage some sort of relationship, mostly via my son. Lady Lee said some very wise things. Please take the advice to heart!

~Aztec

• myself
    myself

((((((((Tink)))))))

When our family went through out losses last year my sister read a book about the grieving process and shared some thoughts with me about it.

Chances are that the grief and frustration you are feeling are more then the loss of your father and his abuse prior to that. The grief you are feeling could be a combination of several losses you haven't dealt with, or have possibly tried to push away in order to protect yourself

DF'ing (causing the loss of family and friends), divorce, prior deaths, are among things that we think we have worked through. The book gave suggestions for dealing with these things. One of them that stood out to her was writing letters, whether you intend to pass them on or not. We can get anything we need to say, or wish we took the time to say (good or bad-let it out!!!) out into the open even if it is only for ourselves.

Tink, you have been through so much, you have survived, and you have been a source of stregnth to others.

Love to you and Craig!

Karla

• talesin
    talesin

{{{{{tinkerbell}}}}}

it's not your fault, it's not your fault, it's not your fault

NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT

HE IS THE PARENT, YOU ARE THE CHILD

This is the last guilt trip he could lay on you, after all the abuse. (imho)

Get some professional help, sweetie.

IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.

talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit